How to wash a sticky chick?

Springtime47

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
One of my chicks has hatched and just will not fluff up. It's feathers have dried as a sort of hard casing onits head and back. How do I go about washing it?

Last edited:
I saw that no one answered. I don't know, maybe someone else will see this. I will try to find out whats best.

I wash my sticky chicks. Hold them under running water that is warm, not too hot. Rub any spots that have dried with your fingers.

Dry them a little with a paper towel them pop them back in warm brooder. Make sure its warm in there (95-100 degrees). They fluff out nicely.

I don't wash sticky chicks unless there is some impairment in their movement because of it. i.e. they can't move a wing, leg, head, or poop. If they are just sticky I let them do it naturally. You can lose a bantam chick quickly if it gets too cold.

If you decide to wash it do make sure it never gets chilled.

I never wash my chicks..take an old but clean toothbrush and gently brush the little fella.It will loosen all the glue and they will fluff right up.Saves them from being wet. If the glue still wont come off dampen the toothbrush just a little.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom