How to ween ducks from BED?

Syrain

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
So I bought two khaki campbells before the semester ended, and in an attempt to keep them comfortable at night, I popped them up in bed with me. This wasn't so much of a problem until they started meandering everywhere and, unsurprisingly, pooping everywhere at night. What is the easiest way to introduce them to their own sleeping quarters without stressing them out? I've tried stuffed animals, toys, and a feather duster to keep the anxiety down, none of which help enough to make a difference. I'm at a loss and it breaks my heart when they cry, but I just really need them out of my bed lol.

Maybe a container or kiddie pool with bedding (not sure how much space you got)dangle your arm off the bed into their box, pool, container until they're settled?? That's my best guess.

Thank you for the suggestion! Problem is, they're big enough to jump out of their pool. :/ I'm thinking that the only real way to do this is to move them into a different room without easing the separation at all, but I'm afraid of it stressing them out too much. :(

You could use a dog cage in your room. They are ritual creatures and dislike changes in their turf, but they get use to it quick, so just stick it out and they will stop stressing over the change before you know it. Also, they do sell diapers for ducks or you could make some, if you would rather not change the bedtime routine.

With that said, I do have some concerns about them being indoors. Do they have access to water deep enough to fully submerge their entire head at all times? This is extremely important for the ducks to have this as ducks need water to digest properly plus to clean their nares and eyes effectively. They also use the water to assist in spreading oil from their oil gland with the water which usually splashes water everywhere.

Also, ducks need minerals and nutrients that are in the soil and bugs. You may need to supplement if they are indoors more than out.

Best wishes!

What learningstill said. Duckie spent the first 8 months of her life inside, with daily tub baths and trips outdoors on nice days to have some supervised foraging and fresh air. She wore diapers in the house and slept in a dog crate at night.

Now that I've transitioned her to live outdoors, she is the friendliest duck ever lol. Comes over to be petted loves snuggles, and Still enjoys coming in to hunt for crumbs on the kitchen floor.

I have found that when I need to change living arrangements, having a pea party together in the new space helps.

Pea party! I love it!

Could you maybe get a bigger container to put on the edge of the bed that you could dangle your arm in to? Some people do that with puppies. And a shirt with your smell!! Stuffed animal too, mine love theirs.

Back
Top Bottom