How to Worm your chickens.

Need to worm your chickens? watch this video.
https://m.youtube.com/#
Tried twice, never saw a video.
hu.gif

click on the bottom video.
Thanks.
Hi Sarah.
frow.gif

I watched a good portion of that video... and DE does NOT work as a wormer. And poo on your eggs does NOT indicate worms.
hmm.png
So she is basically spreading her opinion... which we all have our way of doing things, so...

DE is a porous rock, that easily crushes. It's supposed to work by making microscopic cuts to said parasite. Well, those DE dust are also inhaled and while the body is a great healing device (wow, science fiction IS science reality!), how is ithat the microscopic cuts aren't harmful even if it doesn't cause cancer per say? By the time it goes through the gizzards (in my deductive reasoning), it is ground down by the harder pebbles that are in there, rendering it useless by the time it hits the gut.

Also, Purina includes DE in some of their feed products. A company that has no doubt spent millions on research would be touting that claim as a great marketing tool!
old.gif

Here is one link with different reasons than mine that have supporting evidence that DE doesn't work...
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=DE

I saw one where they had been worming with DE only to have to put their hen down because it had capillary worms... I wish I could find that link as it was from a respected source.

Some worm load is completely normal. When they do a fecal float at the vet, which I recommend before worming to make sure you get the right ones, they do a count to how many eggs are there. If it goes higher than a certain # then they suggest worming. Below a certain number is considered normal. It only becomes an issue if the bird is immunity compromised. And then the worm load is allowed to grow out of control.

Worm load can help be prevented by not overcrowding. And not inviting wild birds to your chicken area. As well as not keeping sick chickens in your flock. There are a few more prevention's I will try to remember. As friendly things, I'm not trying to be ugly here! BYC is a great community with lots of people coming together to share their experiences.
highfive.gif
Your job is just to decide what truly makes sense to you! And don't go with peer pressure, go with your gut. What works for your friend might not work for you. Do all the research you can and if you find something different that sounds more feasible or accurate, make adjustment and don't beat yourself up. Chicken keeping is a very fluid and dynamic thing at my house. As the flock and their needs or my understanding changes, I make adjustment for it to come into line with my current way of thinking.
thumbsup.gif

Poo on your eggs can indicate that one of your hens needs her bum trimmed. And sometimes a hen has a defect that prevents the cloaca from closing all the way to block the rectum off from whatever the egg part is called...

Best wishes... and thank you so much for sharing even if I disagree. We are all friends here!
smile.png

Thank you so much for explaining this you were very helpful! I was going to buy that stuff soon.Thank you so much for sharing this with me! Glad I did not waist my money.
THANKYOU!

Back
Top Bottom