how u give the button quail chick starter feed? URGENT!!!

quailraisingMan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
there like kinda big and chunky. and hard, not moist

and how do i get them to eat it?

Last edited:
You can grind it up in a coffee grinder, magic bullet (works the best), or put it in a bag and try to smash it with something. If you don't have something to grind it then it's easier to just soak it in water. If you soak it in water it needs changed a couple times a day or it may spoil and make them sick. Don't mix up too much at once. You don't have to do anything to get them to eat it. Just put it in there. Use a shallow dish like a lid off something or if you have them on paper towels sprinkle bits of it around. Tapping it with your finger can help encourage them to peck.

It would be better if you could find gamebird feed or unmedicated turkey starter. They will grow better with the higher protein. Also best not to use medicated chick starter. Game birds may overdose on the antibiotic used in medicated feeds.

When they are really young I get the best results by just sprinkling a little at a time in. They will often go after movement or the specks on the white paper towel. Baby quail are far from bright but they di eventually catch on.

I smush the feed on a metal window screen. I only feed them the finest stuff that falls threw. I water in the groove of a lid. Ya know that groove that lets the lid snap on the bowl? I found one with a wide groove. It holds 5 eye droppers of water,& the chicks never get wet.

the chick thinks it gravel -_-...ugh it been 1 day since they hatch till now, how long do i have till im suppose to worry since they didnt eat yet?.

and there one quail isnt fully feather, kinda like a runt, body alot is smaller. they kept pecking at it.

do i put them all away?

I have never had an issue with day old buttons eating dumor chick starter straight from the bag. I've watched them pick up pieces that are too big, but they manage to eat enough. If you're really worried, then take a small amount and add just enough water to make it moist.

Try to keep the runt separate from the others, but still where he can see his hatch-mates.

I make a wet mash and store it in the fridge. I feed them 2-3 times a day. If you keep it uncovered in the fridge it will dry out, but still be small. It's either that, or putting it in the blender, which turns it into a powder
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom