How unacceptable is it? Opinions

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
Say you're broke. You borrow $200 from your brother and tell him that you will most definitely pay him back the same week, when you get your paycheck...

The day AFTER you said you'd give all the money back, he calls you and asks where it is. You him and haw and tell him you'll give him half and deposit it into his account...

2 hours goes by, but you haven't made an attempt to get to the bank yet...

How unacceptable is it to borrow money you cannot repay? I'm so totally ticked off at my BIL. Him and his wife have been avoiding us since yesterday when they said they'd repay us. I'm never lending these idiots money again. It's not that they don't have it, it's that they want to spend spend spend. There are 3 incomes in that household, we have 1 income... why are we the ones that lend money?
he.gif
barnie.gif

pips&peeps :

Never loan money to family.............

I have a SIL who is always broke. We have decided that we never LEND her $. We will give her $ with no expectation of getting it back. That way we are not angry when she doesn't repay it. If she happens to repay it then it's like found $. lol​

What setter4 said. Any time you loan money, don't expect to get it back. If they COULD pay you back, they'd have put it on a credit card or gotten a bank loan, right?

True story: My mother, in her early 50s, had switched careers in a fit of stupidity. She was broke as a result, and asked my grandparents for a loan of $10,000, which they gave her interest-free. She immediately went clothes shopping, despite having a full closet already. When they saw her next, she was showing off her new $100 designer skirt. My grandmother read her the riot act, and my mother had the sheer brass you-know-whats to complain that $100 out of $10,000 wasn't all that much money so she shouldn't complain.

I wish I had these people's nerve, sometimes. I would perish of humiliation if I had to ask relatives for that kind of money in the first place.

Well, I would just tell them that. Tell them that next time they are flat broke, they can stay flat broke.

If they aren't being smart with their money then you don't need the worry of helping them out in a pinch.

I don't give money to family, but my mom and I help eachother out when we can.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be."

That said, your BIL is probably ashamed and definitely acting badly. He made a promise to you and hasn't kept it. Write off the "loan" and don't loan him any more money. It's an expensive lesson to learn.

True story here
big_smile.png
I know someone who desperately needed money and ask a well off relative they gave them $5,000.
I went to visit this in need person and found their entire liveing room redecorated.
ep.gif
So much for dire need
he.gif

I will only loan my sister $$ if I have it to spare because I know, no matter the promise to re-pay, I’ll never see the money again. They are both aware they owe me money a make a point of picking up the tab when we go out for lunch or drinks or whatever. They are making an effort.
My advice is to not get in a fight or argument with your bro – it will give him an excuse to not talk to you, then you’ll never get your $$. Tell him if he can’t get it back to you in 1 payment you’ll take whatever he has on him and just keep hounding till he gets it back to you – if not don’t get him any X-mas gifts this year. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom