How warm is your cookie tin water heater? Looking for

Robeenop
Is this water the 32 oz plastic bottle type? item number 520011 ? says for caged animals ?
thanks

Last edited:
I have deep litter in my coops, I also have straw in my runs.(where fire could be an issue) With the rain we have had so much of, i felt bad for them walking through poopy mud. Also makes muddy eggs! They like the straw. With 80 acres behind my house with cows, mice are a nuisence. That new waterer hangs with a wrapped cord, so coming from the roof, and 2.25 gallons, perfection! I wish it had been my idea!

I have deep litter in my coops, I also have straw in my runs.(where fire could be an issue) With the rain we have had so much of, i felt bad for them walking through poopy mud. Also makes muddy eggs! They like the straw. With 80 acres behind my house with cows, mice are a nuisence. That new waterer hangs with a wrapped cord, so coming from the roof, and 2.25 gallons, perfection! I wish it had been my idea!
How does the lid lock on to be able to hang it?

Up here in the UP of Michigan....western end...there is no water "Running" any where outside the house....unless it is under about 6 to 10 inches of ice...I have a love/hate feeling for the winter around here...anyway the water has to be heated somehow...especially on days like today...a high of 3 degrees Fahrenheit....with a low of -7 degrees Fahrenheit...this is supposed to continue through the week...then it's up into the teens...I'd be running out with fresh water every couple hours...Thank goodness for my "Cookie Tin" water heater.

I am not using a cookie tin, but have a 40 watt round bulb in a concrete block with one of the plastic gravity feed containers. The water container is secured by twine with an elastic band which holds it in place. The climate here in Tennessee is usually mild. So far this year the coldest it has been is around 17F. Tomorrow night is predicted to be closer to 10F. The system has worked fine so far. I also have a separate neighboring coop with PVC pipe and nipples. I have a heated cable on the pipe which goes through a wall and is fed by a bucket, which is actually in the coop with the other heater and younger chickens. The heat cable, which is controlled by an automatic thermostat, is fifteen feet long and ends up around the bucket. So far, that has worked also. The pictures were taken while installing and they don't show the heat cable.

Last edited:
Thanks, poppster. It really is a nice light at night. The chickens kinda hang around it a lot, whether they are drinking water or not. I have a screened window in the coop and though it is over a hundred feet away, it has a nice glow even through the window. It isn't real bright and I don't think it disturbs the chickens at night. Their roost is kind of blocked from the light anyway. And you are right about whatever works. I had priced the commercial heated water systems and they started at about $50. I made this one for about five dollars including the bulb.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom