How warm should my brooder be?

DeannaMari

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
So I have Storey's guide to raising ducklings and I know that at like 2 weeks (that's how old my babies are currently) their brooder should be around 80-85 degrees. Although I'm curious about if that is for only 1-2 ducklings. I've noticed that my ducklings cuddle up somewhere away from the heat lamp and hardly ever stay underneath it. They just cuddle up in the colder part of the tank. At night's now it only gets to be about 40 degrees as a low, and during the day it can climb up to 80 degrees. So, I was wondering if I should consider taking off the heat lamp to ensure that I don't over cook the little guys? I just want to make sure that they are getting enough heat, but without them over heating. Or perhaps just during the day I should unplug it and then plug it back in at night for them to make sure they are warm enough at night? Or should I just leave it, since they do have room to get away from it if they need to? What's your opinion?

So I have Storey's guide to raising ducklings and I know that at like 2 weeks (that's how old my babies are currently) their brooder should be around 80-85 degrees. Although I'm curious about if that is for only 1-2 ducklings. I've noticed that my ducklings cuddle up somewhere away from the heat lamp and hardly ever stay underneath it. They just cuddle up in the colder part of the tank. At night's now it only gets to be about 40 degrees as a low, and during the day it can climb up to 80 degrees. So, I was wondering if I should consider taking off the heat lamp to ensure that I don't over cook the little guys? I just want to make sure that they are getting enough heat, but without them over heating. Or perhaps just during the day I should unplug it and then plug it back in at night for them to make sure they are warm enough at night? Or should I just leave it, since they do have room to get away from it if they need to? What's your opinion?
do you know what temp your brooder is at all times? I'd keep it going at least a couple more weeks but get a thermometer so you can keep track of the temp in there. by week 3 they can be under 75*

Back
Top Bottom