How was Kankakee?

jeff

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
How was the Kankakee show this time. I couldn't go but will go in May.

Best Regards,

Jeff

big_smile.png
Hey Jeff..
It was my first time ever to go to a swap and while I did resrain myself and did not buy anything.. I was very tempted.. and my family had a blast.. it was all very interesting!!

I posted a few things I did learn here:
» Code of Conduct or anything someone new to a swap meet should know?

Lot's of stuff there. All kinds of animals.... Unfortunately I didn't not find the small wiener pigs until they were already sold. $10 for a pig,albeit small... Heck of a deal....

I ended up with 4 ducks($10), 2 EE chicks(2 for $1 couldn't pass up) for my 4 year old. And almost done walking down the last aisle one more time I found what i was looking for....

Golden Polish. An older gentleman had a box of polish chicks for 1.25. Most were Buff, but had 4 golden polish. I bought all 4. Note: My wife had rescued an almost full grown Golden froma snow storm, she found in the road ditch. It died, but my girls 6 and 4 and my wife kind of fell in love. So I really wanted some golden polish.

I took my 1 year Austrlorp Rooster to sell and did dell him. Full grown roosters were cheap, mostly in the $6 - $7 range. I would think you would have more than $6 of food in a rooster if you've had it for a year.

I also sold some australorp cross pullets about 16 weeks old, threw in a cockeral the saem age.

Lots more mixed breed chickens than I expected. THough I did pick up a RIR Rooster to now be my flock rooster. He seems nice.

What's the deal with all the pigeons. Wow were there a lot of them. What good are they?(other than training bird dogs).

Wow Joe, where did you find $10 pigs..
ep.gif
we only saw 2 pigglets and the guy wanted $40 a piece for them.. first booth to the right as you walked in the fence (gate).

When we left.. around 10am, there appeared to be more people coming in and setting up.. is that the norm.. late sellers? Should we plan on spending the entire day wondering around next time?
pop.gif

Fran

Thanks for posting! I wondered how it went cuz I couldn't go. It is an all day swap, but we always go early and leave around noon.

Maybe next month.... then in June, some of us BYCers will meet there!
Knox is next Sunday---I'll be there.

$10 pigs(less than 10 lbs apiece)..as you entered the gate go up the row on the right about 75% of the way to the building...on the right. They had a red trailer(gooseneck maybe) and tons of goats in pens in front of the trailer.

The $10 pigs were gone before the sun came up. He had a $50 pig which might have been 50 lbs but that wouldn't fit in my pet taxi I had... He had a larger pig than that too.

I didn't find the pigs you are talking about...

This swap was my first one. We got there at 4:45 CDT and left at 8(I am from Indiana so 5:45 and 9ish).

It did seem like I missed things the first few trips down each isle, either that others were still setting up. When I left at 8 CDT the line of cars was very long...

I may stay later at the June show. I am going to skip Mays as I would probably come home with more tsuff....

It was a great day. The weather was great. Lots and lots of sellers. Was a super turn out for the first swap of the year. Stuff sold great too.
We were busy, so we did'nt get to walk around much, but did get a few of the things we were looking for...

2 exhibition rouen hens
2 buff dewlap toulouse females
1 bearded partridge silkie cockerel
1 white Egyptian goose (female)

I wish we could have looked around more, but was thrilled that we sold everything we took.

Can't wait for the May swap.

We will be at the Knox, Indiana swap next Sunday, hope to see some of you there.

Christie
big_smile.png

Yep, I saw the big pigs there, but didn't know he had little ones... thats ok.. I am just not sure I am ready for that jump just yet.. one step at a time!

The little ones I saw.. were really tucked away in a pile of ... odds and ends.. there were no other livestock back there with them... I just happened to see them and asked.. the old guy must have forgot he brought them cuz he was like... oh yea.. theyre 40 bucks... they were pretty darn small though.. like less than 10 lbs..

Christie.. Where were you guys set up? I think I know... I think I saw your barbado lambs, but I stupidly started a conversation with ? your husband? and I called them goats... at that point I would never introduce myself as a BYC person.. lol.. I just tucked my head down and slinked away... haha.. of course.. my teen laughed at me all day...

Not sure if we'll go in May either.. But definitly June.. and of course if gas is up to $5 a gal.. maybe not then either...

Joe your in W. Lafayette??? we are in IL on Rte 9 just past Hoopeston.. you come into Il that way or run up 41 to Watseka?

Fran,
We set up in the first row to the east about half way down. With a red chevy dually and gray stock trailer. There were 2 goats in with the ewe and lambs.
You need not feel that way, you should have said hello. Our geese were called ducks, by many, all day long...so you are not alone. Alot of people are unsure of what some animals are, you don't know if you don't ask.
Hope to see you at one of the next swaps.
Christie
big_smile.png

I work in Remington... Typically don't get over to the People's Republic of Illinois unless visting friends in Chicago or now going to a Chicken swap in Kankakee. Watseka is only 20 minutes or so from Remington I believe. Went through there in December on my way to bunker hill to look at a JD4020.... I ran up I65 to St Road 14 at the Big Dairy their(Fair Oaks Dairy) and then straight west through St Anne(?). Was a lot of county type roads but didn't amke too bad of time....

I have no idea where mothergoose was....

Can't say I have been to Hoopston...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom