How was your winter?

Michigan Winter was oh well a Michigan Winter!  Cold lots of weather changes....Lost 1 bird too weather and one to predators. Egg production was way down. Birds seem to like spring coming. But whatever predator caused disruption about a week ago is still coming around. Can't get to the birds but each night my roo acts way weird as girls go into roost he paces outside back and forth and acts like he knows something is out there. One hen has laid 3 shell less eggs since the attack.

Many predators stretching their limbs and starting their southern journies. Be they by land or air I hope you are able to stop further loss. We've been hearing something at night that may be an owl, as we aren't finding tracks and we're both adept at tracking. Sometimes it's difficult to remember that Nature is as equally harsh as beautiful.

Thanks for your help. At least now I know they haven't retired permanently. The chicken house has an elevated floor;wooden slats a foot above deep sand. i removed one of the floor panels so they could get down there to clean their feathers in the sand, and a few weeks later, my wife discovered over five dozen eggs laid down there. We closed up the floor, but I wondered if all of those eggs laying around down there hadn't influenced them to quit laying. Anyway, Spring is here now, and we anticipate they will all get back to work.

Many predators stretching their limbs and starting their southern journies. Be they by land or air I hope you are able to stop further loss. We've been hearing something at night that may be an owl, as we aren't finding tracks and we're both adept at tracking. Sometimes it's difficult to remember that Nature is as equally harsh as beautiful.

Same for up hear hawk numbers are up again and my roos are getting off their lazy butts and starting to do their job
lol.png

Thanks for your help. At least now I know they haven't retired permanently. The chicken house has an elevated floor;wooden slats a foot above deep sand. i removed one of the floor panels so they could get down there to clean their feathers in the sand, and a few weeks later, my wife discovered over five dozen eggs laid down there. We closed up the floor, but I wondered if all of those eggs laying around down there hadn't influenced them to quit laying. Anyway, Spring is here now, and we anticipate they will all get back to work.

Yes I agree. Spring will take its toll on your flock it has for me already!

Thank god it was a little warmer today. I am so tired of cleaning the poop board in the freezing cold. We still have SO much snow, at least a foot except where we shoveled pathways. Granted, it was over the top of our 4 foot fence a month ago. Progress!

Thank god it was a little warmer today. I am so tired of cleaning the poop board in the freezing cold. We still have SO much snow, at least a foot except where we shoveled pathways. Granted, it was over the top of our 4 foot fence a month ago. Progress!

Agreed! It will be even warmer tommorow almost 60 degrees but rainy.

Back
Top Bottom