How we got started with raising chickens...

Yoder Farm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Bishop, VA
It all started when my neighbor found a nearly frozen-to-death rooster in her tree after a fierce snowstorm that dumped about a foot of snow here. We got him out of the tree, fed him, and now my neighbor loves him and calls him "Doodle." We have our own name for him, "Henry the Red." We have no idea where he came from, but now he's spoiled rotten ever since he left that tree. We got young hens that spring and soon enough he was checking them out and now he "lives" with his two "wives". Lucky rooster. Our hens are a white with some black hen that we call "Shadow" and a red hen we named "Henrietta." They both lay brown eggs and are adorable.

That reminds me of my rooster! I looked outside one day after we had a huge snow storm and he was perched on top of our storage shed. I thought he would get down on his own but when it started to snow again and he still didn't move I had to go up and get him! Silly roosters. So glad your "feral" rooster found a good home.

Quote:
I don't think she was asking a question.

Thanks for the story Yoder! I love to hear about how people got into birds
smile.png

Thanks! Yeah he was stuck up in that tree for days, wouldn't come down because of the snow. My neighbors' wife loves him but sometimes I think her husband doesn't like his crowing LOL. He used to just hang out in my neighbors' coal shed (which they don't really use for coal, it's more like a gardening shed) until he "noticed" our lovely ladies and now he roosts with them in our small coop... my husband found this on eBay and it took no time to put together.

396251597.jpg

Back
Top Bottom