How weird is it that my muskovy has started laying her eggs in my chicken coop?

cutlass1972

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
This morning I went out and threw some cat food around as treats for the chickens and poured some feed in a dish for the remaining 2 Muscovy ducks that have managed to survive loose around my house. I then went to open the chicken coop to let the chickens out. I watched in disbelief as one of the Muscovy calmly waddled up the hill and into the coop. I thought she must have discovered their feeder. I didn't think much more about it other than it was unusual. After she didn't come out for a while I started to get curious. I opened one of the coop doors to see what she was up to, only to find no duck at the feeder.
I then went and opened the nest box on the far side. Low and behold there was a big duck rear winking at me as if it where about to drop an egg. I closed the nesting box door real quick, and she went over to the next nest box.
So I got to thinking about it and we have been getting more eggs in the coop than normal and some of them almost do not fit in the cartons they are so big. This sneaky duck is going into the coop, leaving her eggs, then going back down to the pond like nothing ever happened. This is a good thing, but I was expecting her to lay there out int he woods or something.
How unusual is this?

This morning I went out and threw some cat food around as treats for the chickens and poured some feed in a dish for the remaining 2 Muscovy ducks that have managed to survive loose around my house. I then went to open the chicken coop to let the chickens out. I watched in disbelief as one of the Muscovy calmly waddled up the hill and into the coop. I thought she must have discovered their feeder. I didn't think much more about it other than it was unusual. After she didn't come out for a while I started to get curious. I opened one of the coop doors to see what she was up to, only to find no duck at the feeder.
I then went and opened the nest box on the far side. Low and behold there was a big duck rear winking at me as if it where about to drop an egg. I closed the nesting box door real quick, and she went over to the next nest box.
So I got to thinking about it and we have been getting more eggs in the coop than normal and some of them almost do not fit in the cartons they are so big. This sneaky duck is going into the coop, leaving her eggs, then going back down to the pond like nothing ever happened. This is a good thing, but I was expecting her to lay there out int he woods or something.
How unusual is this?

I have 8 muscovy girls and at least 4 like to lay their eggs in the chicken side of the coop they like the deep bedding and very quiet in there after everyone leaves for the day.

ok, so it is not that strange then. My ducks are pretty much wild. They live outside on the pond and come up for treats and morning feeding.
It is great if they want to go in the coop to lay their eggs, at least I get to keep them. I figured they would lay them out in the field or something.

ok, so it is not that strange then. My ducks are pretty much wild. They live outside on the pond and come up for treats and morning feeding.
It is great if they want to go in the coop to lay their eggs, at least I get to keep them. I figured they would lay them out in the field or something.
She maybe looking for a quiet out of the way safe place to brood, so if you want ducklings you may want to leave them and see what happens. She'll brood them in the chicken coop

If I had a drake, I would consider it. I am just glad she is laying them in a place where we can find them.

All my Muscovy lay in the duck barn so i think it;s pretty common at least that had been the experience i have with mine.. clearly they feel it's a safe, nice place to lay them!

You practically answered your own question when you posted "have managed to survive." She is predator savvy, and as Miss Lydia suggested is looking for a predator safe spot to lay a clutch and set. C'mon get her some fertile eggs when she goes broody. :lol:

hmm... I could get her some fertile duck eggs. Good idea. Would she brood fertile chicken eggs? I am having such bad luck with mail ordered eggs these days.

hmm... I could get her some fertile duck eggs. Good idea. Would she brood fertile chicken eggs? I am having such bad luck with mail ordered eggs these days.

Muscovies would brood snake eggs probably they love to brood,ps don't get her any snake eggs though but chicken eggs would be good. if you don't want more ducks.

Back
Top Bottom