How well can ducks and geese defend themselves against a cat?

Callacda

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2022
How well can ducks and geese defend themselves against a cat? I was thinking about digging a pond and getting a couple of ducks or geese but I have 2 cats and 3 dogs. I also have 3 chickens. My chickens are protected. I have them in a very large run that I move around my property, about the size of a very, very, large shed. Got from amazon (see below). I want to have the geese or ducks loose if I dig a pond. Will they be able to defend themselves against my dogs and cats? Just how tough are they? Never had geese or ducks
91w51JYbH+L._AC_UY218_.jpg

If dogs are not trained, they can definitely kill ducks and geese. Dogs are the main predator for chickens and ducks. A lot of people have lost their entire flock in one day to dogs. Not sure about geese, but they can definitely kill them. Cats really depend. Most cats will not attack adult ducks. But it is still possible for a particular deadly cat to kill them, just far less likely. Cats are more likely to kill the ducklings and goslings.

If dogs are not trained, they can definitely kill ducks and geese. Dogs are the main predator for chickens and ducks. A lot of people have lost their entire flock in one day to dogs. Not sure about geese, but they can definitely kill them. Cats really depend. Most cats will not attack adult ducks. But it is still possible for a particular deadly cat to kill them, just far less likely. Cats are more likely to kill the ducklings and goslings.
Thank you

How well can ducks and geese defend themselves against a cat? I was thinking about digging a pond and getting a couple of ducks or geese but I have 2 cats and 3 dogs. I also have 3 chickens. My chickens are protected. I have them in a very large run that I move around my property, about the size of a very, very, large shed. Got from amazon (see below). I want to have the geese or ducks loose if I dig a pond. Will they be able to defend themselves against my dogs and cats? Just how tough are they? Never had geese or ducks
View attachment 3163117
It’s not safe to let them run loose at all anymore even during the day. Black vultures and turkey vultures almost killed all of my ducks I let loose to forage during the day and put up inside the same enclosure at night. My suggestion is to get more of the enclosures( I just bought the metal framed greenhouses with the plastic coverings and put chicken wire over them; I did have to install a door though and you can put several back to back) I installed a pond in the enclosures and now I don’t have to worry about my duckies getting eaten during the day or night.

Back
Top Bottom