How well did your polish do in a mixed flock

Roo5

Songster
Feb 17, 2019
Missouri
i wanted one of these for the longest but we never got one.Were currently going to be starting chickens again and this time instead of just going with the “basic” everyday chickens (although they were just as great)I figured we’d throw in some eye candy.The closet soft/ornamental breed I owned were Cochin bantams and a mixed breed bantam and maybe one Easter egger mix, and the bantams managed to make their wya through without ever being bullied and handled themselves , and I never dealt with an issue with my second flock, first chickens were a fail, but I think the way I raised my second flock up it managed to mesh them altogether well.I had 20 plus with different ages, varieties and breeds, this time I’m only gonna have 12.
I’m trying several different breeds,the only chickens I will own that I’ve owned in the past that are on my list to get are Buffs,New Hampshire’s, and Easter eggers.I will be getting breeds I’ve never owned before and that will consist of jersey giants,Brahma,welsummer,and of course polish.Mainly worried for the polish just because it is a mixed flock and New Hampshire’s are a pretty aggressive/pushy bird.I just would like to know how well everyone else’s polish did in a mixed flock.Also,I would like to know about the Fluff that sits on the top of the head, will they cause an issue while being bred?

Mine were bloodied and picked bare on their heads. It was horrific.
They weren't even in the main flock! They were brooded with a couple black sex links. The sex links pulled feathers off my pretty Polish three times. I segregated them from the sex links. I sold the sex links to one home and the Polish to another.

Last edited:
My 2 one year old White Crested Black polish blend pretty good with the rest of my flock ages 7 months old to 4 yrs old but they have plenty of room. My polish were aloof and flighty in comparison to the rest of my chickens but they’re my odd ones since they can’t see much due to the crest which is pretty common with Crested birds.

Last edited:
Bsl are very aggressive,I won’t be wining any sexlinks this time tho.
They weren't even in the main flock! They were brooded with a couple black sex links. The sex links pulled feathers off my pretty Polish three times. I segregated them from the sex links. I sold the sex links to one home and the Polish to another.

I had the same thing happening, even though the chicks were raised with her as their mom! Luckly I invented something that stopped that all together! I would be happy to share it with you guys if you have the same issue!

When I kept a few of them, they also always had their head bloodied. Also, they would get lost when I would let the chickens run around outside their run for the afternoon.

Would love to get them again someday, only this time have their own fenced coop/run.

My Polish hen is kept seperate from my other chickens because she terrorizes them. Even the roo! They are all bantams, though, so he's a tiny roo. She has a very alpha personality, so if she was with other big chickens she would give as good as she got LOL I got bantams for her companions as I had read that Polish often get picked on, apparently I didn't have to worry. I think it depends on the chicken if they're gonna get picked on or not. It's funny seeing my tiny terror of a roo scream and run away when he sees her.

Back
Top Bottom