how well do ameraucanas lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by salt and pepper, Nov 6, 2012.

1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

well, just what the title says!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Very well! I used to get maybe 5 eggs??? a week from mine in their pullet year. I didn't keep them for more than a year I think. So I don't know how fast they slow down laying.

Even the bantam Easter Eggers lay very well from my experience. But the Large Fowl Easter Eggers (hatchery "Ameraucanas") lay better (maybe one more egg per week I am guessing).

No, maybe they were the same amount (bantam and LF) per week- I just don't remember.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  3. salt and pepper

thanks for the reply! do the pure ameraucanas lay just as well?

4. ChickensAreSweet

I did have some Wheaten Ameraucanas for awhile but got rid of them before they laid. Sorry can't tell you.

5. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one lone pure Ameraucana... she's about 5 months in a coop with extra light... so far not an egg. Which doesn't answer your question but I vented and bumped your thread.[​IMG]

6. flappinhappy

flappinhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Palmetto, Fl.
    I have one and she is one of my better layers everyone else went through a molt as did she but she never stopped laying I just get 1 less a week out of her so now I am getting 4 instead of 5

7. salt and pepper

I know it takes them longer to start laying, but I sure hope mine lay well when they get going!

8. ChickensAreSweet

Yes I think it took mine 6 months to start laying.

9. salt and pepper

well, I'm going to hope for blue eggs for easter! thanks for all the replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by