How well do ducks adjust to new things??

ladybug99

Songster
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Monroe New Jersey
I have five ducks, they are about 5 months old now. We are moving them from a brooding pen to their own very nice large pen with a pond. these ducks are afraid of everything! Even those who feed and care for them, the have always been this way. They are getting better with trusting people. But run and hide every chance they get, I am wondering how they are going to adjust to their new surroundings. Any ideas for those experienced duck handlers out there! Thanks

My two mallards adjusted very quickly to their new habitat even though they are very skittish and are afraid of people. They should be fine in their new habitat as long as it is safe and way from predators that could harm them. Please feel free to PM me with any questions you have!

Ducks generally are extremely cautious of anything new. It usually takes a few hours (or sometimes days depending on the change) to adjust to changes in their environment. As they are prey animals they take nothing for granted but chat it up, talk about it, think about it, talk some more, etc. before deciding something new is safe. When all is deemed safe they should be fine. As White Leghorn states, safety from predators is paramount. Good luck!

If possible give them some time in their new area during the daytime for a few days. Let them explore and find their way around.

It may be overkill, but whenever I have brooded anything inside, I give them a light outside at night at first. The way I look at it, many go from a brooder for at least a few weeks if not 2 months with a light on 24/7. Then they get put outside and it is pitch dark. Ducks can panick and trample each other.

I have a timer that I can set every 15 minutes for 24 hours. I leave it on for a whole night, then start cutting it off a little at a time. I'll have it off at dusk to almost full dark then turn it on for a few hours, off for a bit, back on etc,etc. Over the course of a few days, I cut it off completely.

Back
Top Bottom