How winter hardy are Silkie chickens? NE winters?

Old 76 Farm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
Central NY Country
Hi all, I have been wanting to add some Silkies to my flock. I've done some reading about the breed and it says they are winter hardy, but down to what temp? I'm in Central NY where the temps dip down to -15. My coop is insulated & I do the deep litter method. What do you guys think, would they do ok in this climate?

I'm in the NW and the coldest we've had was -9F. We have several silkies. Our coop is uninsulated and unheated, even a little drafty. We do try to do deep litter method, but our coop floor is raised from the ground, so it freezes solid anyways. All our silkies seems to do very well in the cold. We had 12 chickens altogether the previous winter and 22 this winter, so body heat does make a difference. It's always several degrees warmer in the drafty/uninsulated coop than out in the bare elements.

Well, I live in northern Wisconsin and I personally don't keep them but my friend lives nearby and she keeps silkies, and as far as I know, they are all doing fine. I would say it is okay, but like I said, I have no experience with them.

We have had some for several years here in eastern New England and they are fine. It's been down to -20. Heat is more of a problem for them. Unfortunately they do not seem fond of snow. It will be a very long time before they see bare ground again.

Thank you all for your replies
wink.png
That's what I was hoping to hear! They are so cute, we have wanted to add some for quite awhile. I do have a second question.. I have a flock of Brahmas & Orpingtons, all are sweet and friendly. If I want to add the silkies to the flock, would it be better to get eggs and use a broody than to try to add the chicks when they are older? I have heard it's hard to add bantams to a flock of large birds. Is there any truth in that?

I have a few silkies!! I live on the cape and the winter has been brutal. It's been -25 here and soooo much snow and wind. They are hardy birds and will venture out in the snow! I have 13 chickens; no heat, no lighting and no insolation. They are laying and as happy as can be! Great birds!! You should be fine :)

Silkies do just fine in the winter I'm getting7 this April and my friend has 1 and it just loves the SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I again silkies will do fin in15- degrees where will live in Michigan it can get down to 30-.

Thank you for your great answers! Now I can't wait to get them. My local TSC is waiting for Silkies to come in so I might go that way. I also got ahold of a friend that is willing to let me have some fertile eggs this spring if I get a broody hen. I already put a clutch of golf balls in a nesting box just waiting for Miss Ruby Orpington to do her thing
bow.gif
. Either way, I'm going to try to use a broody hen. It's so hard to go to TSC and look at babies without taking any home.

Back
Top Bottom