How would I go about making a new silkie color? (Like hypothetically)

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
First things first I wanna say that I wouldn't plan to make it an official color or anything. Just like a fun project for myself. In the end result a flock of chickens that look like silkies, but are a unique color never before seen in silkies. I also don't plan to do it anytime soon because I currently don't have the space.

I'm not really sure what exact color I'd want. Different colors probably have different base colors that they need to be bred to. I read how you can breed cuckoo silkies using barred rocks and black silkies. I was thinking if a similar method can be used with any other color?

Personally I really like the look of the isabella color. A nice light grey with subtle baige accents/lacing. (That might not be an accurate description of the color). I've really grown to like this color because or my 1 isbella bantam brahma hen. I bred her to my black silkie rooster and got brown chicks with light brown lacing/spots. Unfortunately I currently don't have the space to start a new breeding project, so I can't keep them. Although I think Isabella wouldn't be a great fit because it would just look like lavender. Maybe I could try to make the brown spotted color the hen's chicks instead. Either way, how would isabella work and what color silkie would I need to breed it to to achieve the closest thing to isabella as I can? Is isabella a recessive gene? Is it a dominant one? I'm guessing not that much is known ab it since as far as I know it's only in brahmas and leghorns.

And if the color wouldn't work on silked feathers, than what other colors might you suggest?

I can add pictures of the isabella brahma or her offspring if you're interested.

The easiest and fastest to something very similar would be to find partridge silkies and breed to lavender silkies.
Then breed the offspring together. That cross should get you some.

Pink/Salmon Colored Silkies have eluded me for many years....

This picture is an AI Upscaled Image, because the original it's no longer with us and it's tiny.
1656616895436.png

Original from a decade ago

pink1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom