How would you attach hardware cloth to pipes?

AZMama6

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2022
Peoria, AZ
20220626_191058.jpg
We made a frame for our run from our old 15' trampoline frame. There are pipe hanger straps on the 2×6s and the ends of the pipes are slipped into them to keep them lined up.
I'm looking for ideas on how to secure hardware cloth to the frame. I was planning on zip ties, but rethinking that. The intense sun here in the AZ desert would make them brittle quick. Also, ideas on how to secure the whole thing to the ground so it doesn't blow away in a wind gust? (We will have shade cloth on top half of the run, which would catch wind.)
Thank you!

View attachment 3164724We made a frame for our run from our old 15' trampoline frame. There are pipe hanger straps on the 2×6s and the ends of the pipes are slipped into them to keep them lined up.
I'm looking for ideas on how to secure hardware cloth to the frame. I was planning on zip ties, but rethinking that. The intense sun here in the AZ desert would make them brittle quick. Also, ideas on how to secure the whole thing to the ground so it doesn't blow away in a wind gust? (We will have shade cloth on top half of the run, which would catch wind.)
Thank you!
I see the stainless steel ties on Amazon.. some are plastic clad.

Galvanized fencing wire. I have a 1/4 mile spool of 19ga, I wouldn’t go any thinner gauge than that.
Good idea too, I forget that I have different types of of wire for chicken run usage too.

As far as keeping the entire thing from blowing away, probably need ground anchors (sometimes called earth anchors) which usually screw into the ground. I don't have any experience with those, but that'll at least give you a starting point.

Also, ideas on how to secure the whole thing to the ground so it doesn't blow away in a wind gust? (We will have shade cloth on top half of the run, which would catch wind.)
Thank you!
I use high quality landscape fabric for a shade cloth. The wind goes through it enough that it stays in place nicely. When I switched out to a plastic tarp for the winter it took WAY more effort to keep it in place. Of course you'll still want to secure your run to the ground and @rosemarythyme 's anchors are a good way to go. But, what material you use for shade can make a big difference too.

Also, ideas on how to secure the whole thing to the ground so it doesn't blow away in a wind gust?
That looks like you want the tiedowns to be permanent. I can't tell if that is clay or sand. If it is clay I have cemented a post in the ground. Dig a hole so you can drop in a treated 2x4 or some size board, attach it to your base with nails, screws, or lag bolts, and cement it in place.

If it is sand a better way is to bury something that has surface area. For a Boy Scout camping trip in sand on a beach I cut disks maybe 5" diameter out of wood, drilled a hole in the middle, and attached a rope through that. I buried those maybe 8" and tied them to the tent legs. My tent was the only one that wasn't flattened when that squall blew through at 1:00 AM. I just smiled while the boys and other adults picked up the pieces.

So for sand and something more permanent than a tent on a camping trip I'd think along the lines of burying a treated board or maybe something metal a foot or more deep (how fine and loose is that sand) and attaching wire or chain. Just a 2 foot long piece of buried 2x4 would hold a lot. A 2x6 would hold more.

Back
Top Bottom