1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How would you cook up Rooster?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ICE_Lilly, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ICE_Lilly

ICE_Lilly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2008
    Monadnock Region, NH
    We have the rooster in the freezer, but I don't know how to cook it up. Would it be the same as regurlar chicken? Is the meat tough? I was thinking of just boiling it up to make stock and then use the meat for a stew, but I don't know if that would be the best way to cook it. Any suggestions? Thank You [​IMG]

2. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  3. ICE_Lilly

Aug 19, 2008
    Monadnock Region, NH
    Thanks. I saved a recipe for it and will consider it. It seems pretty involved, but yummy.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It would be hard to beat slow cooking him and then adding dumplings. As Alton Brown would say "those are Good Eats".

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i posted this on JoeBryant's query once...i will try to remember it by heart!

Rhandi's Rid of that Rowdy Rooster Soup

1. Catch said Rooster and 'do thedo'. (you should already be to this point seeing as it's in the freezer![​IMG])

2. When the Rooster looks like food, put in in stockpot and cover with water. Add salt and bring to boil. When it reaches a boil, turn down to a soft simmer and cook for 1 hour.

3. Add one onion and celery (coarse chop) and throw it on top of the Rooster. Add pepper, 2 bay leaves, poultry seasoning and cook for 1 more hour.

4. At this point drain and reserve broth. Pick meat off that Rooster and throw back into pot. Throw away anything that is a bone, skin or just weird looking. Add rosemary and bring back to simmer.

5. Add potatoes, noodles, dumplings, rice, barley...whatever you like at this point.

it's gonna be good. you're gonna want seconds. Roosters is tasty![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    i throw mine in the crockpot covered in water with some celery, salt and pepper. I put it on low and cook it until I get home the nest evening. I lift out the bird and pick the meat off, by this time you really have to just pick the bones out because the meat has already fallen off. I then put the meat and broth in a gallon ziploc freezer bag and put in freezer for chicken and noodles this winter or use right away. The broth is very rich and good. I tried to fry a rooster (5mon old) and it was so tough we could hardly get it off the bone.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
  8. ICE_Lilly

Aug 19, 2008
    Monadnock Region, NH
    Mmm! They all sound so good. I think I'll try a nice hearty stew though. Thank You all for your ideas!

9. BigSkyChickie

BigSkyChickie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Montana
    Hey E, I guess that mean ol' guy turned into supper, eh? Nice to see you here!

[​IMG] Mary Megan

10. Ottoman

Ottoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Florida
    Quote:About the only thing one can do with an old roster is to stew him down, just as others have said.

This might be a unusual recipe, but it is very good, and the meat will fall off the bone.

Israeli Chicken
    1 chicken cut into quarters or 4 hind quarters.
    2 tsp turmeric
    2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp garlic powder
    Pepper/salt
    Olive oil to coat pan
    2 large onions ¼ or 3 small
    5 or 6 chop garlic.
    1/2 cup of wine

In a bowl, combine about 2 tsp each of turmeric, paprika, cumin, garlic powder. Sprinkle pepper/salt on each piece of chicken, and then rub the spice mixture on both sides of each piece of Chicken. Brown the chicken on both sides in olive oil. . Also, may need to add more oil as you brown the chicken. As each piece browns, remove it to another bowl. While browning, slice two large onions and chop garlic. After all of the chicken is browned, add the onions and garlic to the pan and sauté until wilted. Layer the chicken and onions in the crock-pot. Add about 1/2 cup of wine to the skillet to de-glaze the pan. After all the little bits come off the bottom, pour the liquid into the crock-pot. Cook on high for about 3 to 4 hours then turn down to low. Serve over
    Cous-Cous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by