How would you protect your animals from nuclear fallout?

Pics
I'm a bit curious about the prediction of a Carrington Event sized solar flare occurring in what was the year? 2025?My husband and I are HAM operators. Would love to see that data.
Solar cycle 25 is stronger than predictions so far and we're approaching solar maximum. NASA has published the usual cautions about risks from space weather with some "elevated risk" language as a result, and it's been sensationalized by news outlets and blown up to mean all heck's gonna break loose. Truth is, there is still no possible way to predict flares, CME"s or other space weather. So we have no basis in fact that there will be any kind of geomagnetic storm at all in 2025, let alone one as massive as the Carrington event. It's all fearmongering for clicks.

Curious, when we have significant geomagnetic storms now, does it mess with your gear? Do HAM's use any kind of shielding or does it have any impact on things like signal skipping? Something I've wondered about for a while but I don't know any amateur radio ops to ask.

Does anyone know:
Where to find info on what locations have the most likelihood of being a target? Cities? Silos? Power plants? Any maps? Also, what happens after a blast? Fallout radius, etc
1667520485511.png

If I remember correctly....this map is from FEMA
1667520602398.png

This map is Dept of Homeland Security but it's only for a 10 kiloton blast....and it does not illustrate fallout which will be spread much further, depending on wind direction

Last edited:
Link? Source?
RE: Asteroids sources ....you can go to NASA's JPL Laboratories NEO list (Near Earth Objects List) but keep in mind that if something is coming from the sun's direction they may not always see it in time, and if there is going to be a big impact expected then they will not offer that info to the public (to avoid panic), and with any that pose a possible threat they will attempt to deflect it with the D.A.R.T system (that has been done before already...yes, recently...but it only works on smaller objects and, that it always poses a risk of creating a cosmic pool table affect, the original object knocking other object of their trajectories in track with a path towards earth).....here is the link https://cneos.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/ ...the EU also has their own list but it's usually identical

Now don't freak out
Quite possibly.
Well don't worry about blast zones because as I said much earlier in the thread, my friend from the Dept of Defense said we are well protected from actual ground impacts by the US C-RAM and Iron Dome Defense System we have....that's the system that will take out the incoming missiles well before they make impact (it's not guaranteed to intercept 100% of them if they send 100's of them all at once but still very close to all of them)....it's the same system we built/ sold to Israel. He said there would still be widespread fallout from them exploding in the atmosphere and an EMP but those aren't necessarily lethal.
Anyway, here is the Iron Dome in action

here is the the C-RAM

Pretty darn effective!

You seem pretty dead set on these plans, which is totally fine, you do you. However, like others have mentioned, I think shelf stable foods and things would be more realistic to have. Any eggs or meat from the animals, I don't think I would be comfortable consuming. And I have no idea how you would treat the animals with the iodine, or if they would even need it. Have some pills for yourself, I think everyone should to be honest. I have two nuclear power plants within a few counties of me so I have pills. But those pills are just to prevent thyroid cancer from the fallout
What are these pills you're referencing?

I live in the next county over from a nuclear power plant, likely <30 miles. Realistically, if the rods can't stay cool, I'm probably toast and not worried about my chickens or other critters.

Back
Top Bottom