how would you vent and insulate this coop for the winter?

We built the same style coop, but ours is 8x10. Not sure how to insulate it, but just a warning...we lost 21 chickens last week because our vent covers (just like yours, by the floor) got tore off to gain access.

thanks guys!....i really appreciate the help..really.......okay, so i am definatley going to seal the floor vents up..and add gable ones with a slider..also thanks patand chickens for the warnig about the netting!....i told my husband about it...he says he may use these corragated pvc roofing panels we have, to make some kind of roof over thier run...and it will help protect the netting from snow also. thanks again guys! Wendy:)

edited to add: and thanks bug for the warning about the floor vents!

Last edited:
We have a salt box style coop. We insulated the ceiling and used a ridge vent for circulation..we are going to insulate the wall also. We used 2 inch styrafoam and covered that with wood.

We insulated our coop this weekend with R19 fiberglass and covered it with plywood. The coop is 4x8 and has one window, a little chicken door and a people door. We left some vents at the eaves and of course the window can be left open too.

I'm not sure how cold it needs to be to require insulation. We're in NYS close to W. Mass and I think it's cold enough for insulation especially since we aren't heating the coop. It gets below 0 and we have the wood stove fired up already.

Plus, I can see myself worrying about the chickens if it's cold.
smile.png

Glenda

Sorry Redhen, I am only on here off and on. We have our vents in the gable ends above our heads. One above the door and the other is above a non working window. We used the same foam we insulated with to make covers for the vents the foam hangs by nails.
Yeah, I could tell you were more worried about the ventilation than the insulation. I also am concerned about that. But bug126 brings up a good point about predators. Since our covers are above our heads I do not think that is a problem we will have.
We have snow fence (netting) covering the run also. We put a slanted roof on the run side of the coop. The slanted roof gives them solid covering over half of the run. We plan on keeping the other half covered with the netting, but, The snow will be an issue in our area for sure. We have two poles under the netting to hold it up.
I actually plan on wrapping plastic around the run. I also plan on putting black plastic on top of the roof. We get aver two foot of snow every year and I want my chickies to be able to go outside this winter. I figure the black plastic on the roof will help heat it up a little. I have already put about 4' of maple leaves in the run and two perching poles also.
I plan on leaving the pop door open like it is now so they can continue going in and out (unless the cold drops below zero). I was thinking that using strips of plastic or rubber hanging in the door way will cut down also on the cold coming in. Winter is going to be good for them
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Nice setup. Before bothering to insulate I'l buy a cheap spring-operated outdoor thermometer and install it in the coop where the birds can't reach it. Observe them as the temps drop. They'll probably be fine. If you do get little vents for the top, buy the kind that open and close with a tiny metal lever. They also come with little screens inj them so that insects are excluded. That way if you get a very cold spell you can close them and if it's hot in summer they can stay open for several months. Position them so you can reach them easily.

We insulated as much for our convenience as for the birds, and there are instructions and photos in the link below. We have lots of poultry friends who didn't though and the birds are fine. One of my motivations was comfort for *myself* because I'm in the barn a lot, where the coop is made out of a former horse stall, and I have to be there for prolonged periods to care for other animals. Plus, I like to play with the hens, who are very friendly. I wanted to be able to remain there as long as I wish without freezing my tush off!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Thanks guys!..i have alot of good ideas now(thanks to you), i appreciate the help! thanks again, Wendy:)

redhen, I'm closer to the coast in Massachusetts, and I wanted to tell you it is a good idea to insulate here, especially in the summer! The coop was a good ten degrees cooler than outside all summer long. The winter is a problem if you don't have enough ventilation, as you've heard, but I still am happy we insulated, it is warmer in there overnight than it would be without it. I am leaving two windows cracked overnight, I open them wide during the day. The wind can't blow on the birds at night, they're way above either one on their roosts, and during the day, they're below them while they're in the coop.

hi reinbeau..i would use my windows, but they are directly in front of my roosts, and at the same level as them also...i dont think we planned out our coop design very well..
roll.png
... during the summer they were great for keeping them cool...but for winter i will have to keep them closed...i really want to insulate it also...hubby is going looking for some tomorrow or next day. thaks for the advice from a fellow Baystater..
smile.png

I only insulated my ceiling in the coop and have vents in the eaves. My "girls" have stopped laying the last two days, which have been in the 20's and 30's at night. I do leave a light on in the coop for heat and for egg production, but last night they stayed out in their fenced-in run and did not go in the coop! I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? I do not shut them in at night. They have a door to enter and exit the coop that I can shut, but have not.
Thanks for any help you may have.

Back
Top Bottom