Howdee. 35 meat birds, and new farmer.

scubabri

In the Brooder
May 6, 2022
I just ordered 35 Cornish Cross birds that will show in mid June. I'm having a challenge determining what to feed them. Basically I've got it down to 20% for the first two weeks, which would be about 35lbs, and then %18 for the rest of the 6 weeks. I have tractor supply and cal-ranch close by. I'd like a recommendation for an organic, non-medicated feed.

Also, can someone point me in the direction of a feed schedule? I've done searches, and there is just lots of info and I'd like to whittle it down to a handfull of recommendations.

thanks

Brian

This chart is helpful as a general reference

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 7
Hi! I just process my first round of meat birds. I fed 50 birds mostly organic and soy/corn free. It’s almost $1/lb. I would recommend watching for sales at coastal or similar stores and stocking up or trying to buy bulk and sharing with someone. $1/lb is not an economical way to go. Also I’ve seen it said that ranging only cuts back about 5% demand for feed so don’t count on that too much. Mine had absolute free range and really only wanted feed. I had freedom ranger color yield chicks. From my understanding they can eat the starter feed their whole lives, until you slaughter. I fed scratch and peck feed as I’m in the PNW and it’s somewhat local. Maybe you have something similar from a mill near you. Enjoy those sweeties!

We’ve raised a few batches of Cornish.

We feed Kalmbach meat bird feed, but any meat bird feed should suffice.

We give them all day access to feed for approx 3 weeks. After that we give them access to feed part of the day -so we limit them somewhat.

They drink A LOT of water. Give them water, watch water levels, keep it cool. If you put additives in the water, make sure to also provide a source of plain water (no additives).

Keep them cool- they run hot, they do not tolerate heat very well. Provide all day access to shade, even if that means using something temporary. Our first batch we ended up using the broken table umbrella left by the previous owners, and anchoring it well. Shade cloth is another choice.

Back
Top Bottom