howdy chickenheads! new member looking for advice

dlz2355

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
did everything i could to predator proof my chicken run, including hardware cloth two feet out and two feet up, around the entire run. my cluckers were good all summer, and so far they still are. today i found that some little thief has dug a 3" diameter hole from four feet outside the run, all the way into it! holes seem too big for mice, too small for groundhogs or fox, plus my chickens are unharmed. it's winter in the suburbs of philly so i don't think it's a snake. don't smell a skunk either. does anyone have a clue what might be doing this???

did everything i could to predator proof my chicken run, including hardware cloth two feet out and two feet up, around the entire run. my cluckers were good all summer, and so far they still are. today i found that some little thief has dug a 3" diameter hole from four feet outside the run, all the way into it! holes seem too big for mice, too small for groundhogs or fox, plus my chickens are unharmed. it's winter in the suburbs of philly so i don't think it's a snake. don't smell a skunk either. does anyone have a clue what might be doing this???

Don't want to scare you, but raccoons are now reported in suburbs and watched a National public tv special on this. It could well be an adolescent raccoon or even a neighborhood small miniature dog but more likely a raccoon or a weasal if there is any crrek or water nearby. Any one would be serious. I would advise more securing, by burying deterrants like barbed wire and wiring with electrical fence.

Hope this was helpful and all goes well with your security efforts!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm afraid I've no idea, but I'm glad your chickens are O.K. Try burying the fence around the coop nice and deep. That should slow the beastie down.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

A 3" hole would be too small to be a raccoon or other mid-sized predator. Could be chipmunks, ground squirrels, other rodents looking for a free meal.

Back
Top Bottom