Howdy from Florida

Araucana Nest

FreeBird
Aug 14, 2020
North Central Florida
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I remember bringing a few chicks home from the feed store. I'd just moved out to a small acreage. Didn't know what breed they were (learned later they were New Hampshire Reds and Cornish Rock X). Kept them in my room and simply fell in love with the soft peeping. Music to my ears. That was in 2001.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 44

(3) What breeds do you have? Silverudd's Blue, Crested Cream Legbar, Barnevelder, French Black Copper Marans (+2 American), Araucana, Welsummer and Cinnamon Queen

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Eggs of course :) but eggs that don't depend on cages, debeaking, or otherwise depriving a chicken of being a chicken.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? All things self-reliant and voluntary simplicity including dairying with Jersey cows and dairy goats.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. Writer/ Editor/ Farmer . I have five large dogs four livestock guardian dogs (Anatolian and Kangal). I've rescued 7 horses.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? I've long searched around here for answers to some questions. Recently left Facebook for good and along with that lost all of my poultry groups. I lurk mainly but sometimes I have questions or can help someone with advice.

Back
Top Bottom