Howdy From Independence, MO (Kansas City Metro Area)

devildogmrk

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Thought I would drop in and say hello. New to the forum but not necessarily new to chickens. It is the first time I have kept chickens in a backyard of basically an urban area. Grew up a good portion of my life in the Ozarks (Not too far from Fayetteville, Arkansas), surrounded by neighbors that raised chickens for Tyson back in the late seventies and early eighties. We too raised chickens and guineas as well but in small numbers on basically a cattle farm. Guess you could say I missed the experience so I decided to keep a small flock in my yard.

Would have loved to get guineas again because I find them so interesting, but they tend to "alarm bark" more than a guard dog. So I did not think that my immediate neighbors would appreciate the noise. I thought this because I had already had one complaint of my dog barking too loud at an excessive hour (I laughed at the ridiculousness of this statement because our neighborhood filled with retired folks basically thought 8 P.M. was an excessive hour). I love their personality though, because they are so animated and have a lot of personality.

I have designed my coop and run so that unless they are in my yard itself they should not even be able to see the chickens. The majority of the run is hidden from view, and the coop is going to be look attractive to the eye when completely done. I am trying to make this as noninvasive to my neighbors as possible. But I checked all city regulations and animal control regulations to make sure I did this right and that no one would have any merit to any complaint they might make.

I have to give props to this site and its association with the "For Dummies" series of books for the ultimate design and setup of my run and coop. I used the "Building Chicken Coops fo Dummies" book to give me a good start on the design of my coop and run, the basic materials I might need in order to build it properly, and for some of the wonderful additional suggestions in the last couple of chapters for doing things right and tricking out the coop with some cool features.

I look forward to hearing all your chicken stories and gathering as many suggestions as I can get.

Devildogmrk
(its a U.S. Marine Thing)

welcome-byc.gif

From WA state! I hope you enjoy your new adventure. We love our girls~ have 5 on a relatively small property in the suburbs. I'm sure you neighbors will love your chooks once they get some eggs
wink.png

Again,
welcome-byc.gif

Erin

Back
Top Bottom