Howdy from Maine

blackbriar

Hatching
Feb 9, 2015
Saint Albans, Maine
Karen here

My family bought our cabin on 20 ac last summer and I couldn't wait for our RIR chicks to come in the mail. We have 6 RIR hens, 2 Aruacana (sp) hens, a RIR roo and a Buff Polish roo (he was a mystery chick who tagged along with our RIRs from McMurray and whom we can't bear to cull). They are dealing with our harsh winter very well despite the poorly ventilated coop which I will be modifying bigtime come spring. The hens are giving us 6-7 eggs a day which I am freezing for later use. Our flock is spoiled mightily with all kinds of food scraps from our kitchen and the local grocery store where I get a big box of mixed outdated food every week.

I just won a complete beehive last night that was a door prize at the bee-keeping seminar I attended. Looks like I will be starting bees this spring now instead of next spring. :)

We are slowly on our way to becoming self-sufficient.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif

Sounds like you have a lovely flock and are getting through the winter ok! Winters sure are brutal. But with sufficient venting in your coop, they should do just fine.

Congrats on winning the bee hive!! How interesting. I have always wanted to try raising bees, but never got started. Enjoy this new hobby!!

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Hi and welcome to BYC! Sounds like you are really enjoying your birds. Congrats on winning the bees!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock".

It sounds like you have a nice flock with a variety of breeds! I'm glad to hear that they're weathering the winter well- it can be so difficult caring for chickens in winter.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! We'll be happy to help in any way we can.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

It sounds like you have a lovely flock! Winter can certainly be hard on chickens, and it is good that your birds (and their egg production!) aren't being too adversely affected.

Good luck with your flock, and any beekeeping adventures!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Congratulations on winning the beehive. That sounds like an exciting addition to raising chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on the bee hive! We all are addicted to chickens here so you'll fit right in!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom