Howdy--i'm a newbie now living In Panama

zyzzyx

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 12, 2010
Boquete, Panama
Just thought I would stop lurking and announce myself present. Just retired and am looking for stuff too do with all the extra time I seem to have at the moment. Chikkens sound like a rewarding and perhaps profitable use of time. I do have one question that is foremost in my mind at the moment. The question is ---is it even possible to ship chicks or eggs internationally?--

Hello and have a nice day

Bob

Bob, welcome from Eastern Wa. Having chickens can be a time consuming and fun hobby/ job. Not sure about the international shipping though. Congrats and enjoy your retirement.

you have come to the right place to get answers. i am not sure about the laws/rules of international shipping, but we have peeps from all over the world on this site. maybe one of them will chime in to help you out.

anyway --
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
It's possible to ship eggs anywhere but first stop would be Panama's Ag Department to find out if Panama has any restrictions on importing egg from another country.

Joe

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. I think you will like it here. Even if it is allowed to ship internationally, I don't think it would be very successful. Chicks probably wouldn't survive the trip and hatching eggs have a hard enough time being shipped in the US and then having a successful hatching rate. The longer it takes to get eggs shipped, the less viable they will be.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I agree shipping chicks would be inadvisable but eggs are a possibility if they are chilled, the question is how much cooling can a fertilized egg withstand.
So Bob if you're interested please change the topic to ..... shipping chilled fertilized eggs or something that would attract BYC'ers with a lot of knowledge when it comes to shipping eggs.

Joe

Where at in Panama? That's my neck of the woods. Unless things have changed, there's not really a mail service at all down there. There are TONS of chicken breeds there too.

Ems_chick--- I was hoping there was someone nearby Panama or at least closer than the US because I knew that distance and handling were critical in the viability of eggs and chicks. I live between David and Boquete on 40 acres near the very small town of Caldera. Nothing has changed---they still have no reliable mail service and that is why I was thinking perhaps UPS or FedEX from the US was my greatest chance of getting birds. I do not know that much about chickens, but it seems here that everybody is a mutt of some kind or other and I wanted to be a little cleaner (if you take my meaning) than that. It may finally turn out that I must use local chicks to start.

Thanks kinjimmn---I will open a thread about chilling and shipping eggs to see if I can get some more input.

Thanks again
Bob

Back
Top Bottom