1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Howdy y'all!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by silentwayne, Feb 25, 2016.

1. silentwayne

silentwayne Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Alamance Co., NC
    I'm new to BYC, and look forward to learning from the best. I'm just starting to get into backyard chickens, decided on Orpington, going to be small no more than 4. Any pointers would be appreciated!

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Welcome! And the Orpington breed is a great choice. They are docile, very good layers, and hardy.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] You've come to the right place! Lots of folks here with LOADS of experience! My best advice is to spend time at the Learning Center and read, read, read! That helped me tons!

Have you already built your coop? If you haven't, my next advice is to say BUILD BIGGER than you think you will ever need! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!! Make sure you check out the learning center. Also, if you want more information on your breed, you can just type it in the search bar, and a whole bunch of results will pop up!

1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already been given some great tips (Learning Center, build bigger, Search feature) so I'll just say howdy, it's nice to have you here!

1 person likes this.
  6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our humble group of chicken addicts - great to have you join us. I wonder how long before your "four" becomes "more"?

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    My advice would be don't order "straight run," usually ends up being mostly males. If you want to be sure of gender, it's best to get pullets at point of lay, or laying hens. They cost more but, you won't be stuck will males you can't rehome (too many roosters glutting the market).

1 person likes this.
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by