Howdy

blackbart80

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2015
I just found this forum last night and thought it would be a good place to look for insight and information. My wife and I have decided to give it a go at having and raising chickens. We live in the Cascade foothills in Western Washington where we have 5 acres with about 2.5 acres cleared and fenced for our goats.

We are in the process of turning an old cattle feeder into a coop and sectioning off an area for the chickens that is roughly 15x60. We are planning to start with 6 hens and a rooster and would like to have some birds that are friendly and colorful, good but not great layers.

Thankfully we have some friends who are experienced so we have some local guidance but would welcome any feed back andhow too information.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home and ask all the questions you have. What breeds do you plan on getting? when you get them we would love to see pictures!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! The learning centre is a great place to start for lots of information and great articles on all aspects of keeping chickens. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicken adventure. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

We are not really sure of breeds yet. We are still just looking at pictures and other info we can find on the breeds. It's just the two of us so we don't want too many eggs. I like the Sussex.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

One breed that I think would work out well for you is the Wyandotte. Wyandottes are pretty good layers (but not the best egg layers of all the breeds of chicken), come in many different, beautiful color varieties, and have docile, personable temperaments. They are cold hardy and do fine in heat as well. I would definitely recommend them.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with your future chickens! There are many breeds that would probably work well for you, but in particular, I recommend Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Orpingtons, and Australorps. Those breeds tend to be hardy, productive, and gentle. Sussex are nice too, though.

Last edited:
Thanks, Wyandottes7 Nice to met you.

We are making a list and are going to a Poultry Show at our fairgrounds in a couple of weeks. I hope to have the coop ready by then so if we find someone we like we can start to put our flock together. I can already see us growing from 6 to 15 or 20 quickly.

Welcome BlackBart....I'm new to chicken this year. We just bought 6 last Wednesday. I think they are so cute, my husband can't wait until they start laying.

When I was in elementary school my best friend's father used to call me "Black Bart" because I would wear this black hat when I would come over to play with her. So, welcome, from another Black Bart.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom