How's the cost of feed in your area?

I pay $20 for a bag of gamebird starter.
he.gif

Quote:
Do you watch the auctions to see how they end?
I sell crafts on ebay from time to time. The .99 is a game. lol... People bid thinking it's a steal... more bid... then you have a fight started where one refuses to be out bid.. and seller ends up getting a fair price.

LOL!
Yes, some sellers are sneaky with the shipping!

The other day I was looking at chicken coops, and found the same seller, with the same coop listed with about 10 diff. prices!

Quote:
Please go into a little more detail on the finch seed additive. What brand and % percent per feed do you use? I use oyster shell during breeding season for the hens and their egg factories..."lots of babies"...do you add all this to young bird diet, or are meaning you add it to the hen's feed?

Thanks!

Quote:
Please go into a little more detail on the finch seed additive. What brand and % percent per feed do you use? I use oyster shell during breeding season for the hens and their egg factories..."lots of babies"...do you add all this to young bird diet, or are meaning you add it to the hen's feed?

Thanks!

Hi bfrancis,
I had a similar question recently and here is what Quaillady sent me..

I feed all biddies on the quail side, Gamebird starter unmedicated 30% purina. Same with buttons. I give them the powder of the oyster shell as well.

For breeders, I mix 50% GBS and 50% finch seeds. The oyster shells go in the dust baths for the coturnix/bobwhites/valley quail. For the button quail, the oyster shell gets mixed in to the equine pine pellets.

Now , right now I've just been using a good quality finch mix from the feed store, but not sure of what seeds are in it.

Somewhere in these posts is some info she shared on the nutrition of the seeds and i'll see if I can find it.. or maybe she'll be by before then. :)

Edited to add what I found. :)

For those interested:

Red millet: high in protein, potassium, magnesium, and niacin
Canary grass seed: high in the eight essential amino acids, phosphorus, ash, and protein
White proso millet: high in protein, potassium, magnesium, and niacin
Niger thistle seed: high in protein, essential fats (contains essential trace minerals as well)
Rapeseed: contains essential fatty acids (omega 6 and omega 3)

A great table of the Amino acids table is here: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/amino-acids-summary.htm

Last edited:
Thanks critter, BTW sneaky on shipping (cough) strombergs on any grown birds. Shavings are still $5 for the horse bedding size here but anything sold for small animals is outragous.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom