Feed

Charlie Wooster

Songster
Jun 10, 2023
Sabine River Bottom Rains County Texas
This is my quail feed, local I reckon.. manufactured just a few hours north.. but it’s done the job for me for 20 plus years.. I do add calcium/egg layer supplement.. no treats here.. just put 120 lbs in this can.. it lasts the month, plus 2 weeks usually.. and I got a 40lb bag of gamebird starter plus 1/4 bag from last hatch.. I’m loading incubator tomorrow with 65 jumbo eggs.. keep the train a rollin.. lol

Attachments

• C6AECF9D-2561-49C6-813D-4CDBD4FA2400.jpeg
    C6AECF9D-2561-49C6-813D-4CDBD4FA2400.jpeg
    880.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 7B3BA16D-FF3B-4D50-9E14-F5895D07CDDF.jpeg
    7B3BA16D-FF3B-4D50-9E14-F5895D07CDDF.jpeg
    803.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 5A8DF239-B462-45B4-90F6-D20596CF0467.jpeg
    5A8DF239-B462-45B4-90F6-D20596CF0467.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 18
  • E7A56BF4-A865-47C5-A500-E35B89BA589E.jpeg
    E7A56BF4-A865-47C5-A500-E35B89BA589E.jpeg
    714.2 KB · Views: 17
Thast would make a perfectly good layer (with the supplimental calcium) feed for other poultry as well. I do something similar, using a game bird grower as the base of my mix for my chickens and ducks, though my GBG is a lower base protein (24%) than the 28% you have access to. Another example of why labels matter more than names. Thanks for sharing that one.

Fortune favor your hatching!

Thast would make a perfectly good layer (with the supplimental calcium) feed for other poultry as well. I do something similar, using a game bird grower as the base of my mix for my chickens and ducks, though my GBG is a lower base protein (24%) than the 28% you have access to. Another example of why labels matter more than names. Thanks for sharing that one.

Fortune favor your hatching!
Indeed.. I have done the same.. and thank ya.. I’ll post pictures when the time comes..

Based on the label, it looks it's an Atwood's brand. Even though my profile says Texas Hill Country (that's where my land is), I'm actually in the Dallas area. The closest Atwood's is out, but I'll keep it in mind for my next feed purchase. Thanks for the recommendation.

I’ve been using Kalmbach flockmaker crumbles (all-natural) for a couple years now and all of my mixed menagerie like it in addition to the birds. I was looking at other options from my local feed mill and they have a note on the 16% layer feed that it should not be consumed by cattle or other ruminants 😳😩 Not sure exactly why??? But found it interesting

I’ve been using Kalmbach flockmaker crumbles (all-natural) for a couple years now and all of my mixed menagerie like it in addition to the birds. I was looking at other options from my local feed mill and they have a note on the 16% layer feed that it should not be consumed by cattle or other ruminants 😳😩 Not sure exactly why??? But found it interesting
What do you use as a starter for your chicks?

What do you use as a starter for your chicks?
The flockmaker crumbles are 20% protein “all-flock” so I basically use it across the board for hatchling all the way through……it’s crumbles, but I typically run it through a grinder for quail or buttonquail chicks for first few days

A local feed store has this brand. I kind of like that they list fishmeal as a protein source in the two game bird options. I'm already supplementing with oyster shell, but would the calcium levels in the Grower be an issue? I also show the label for their 19% layer which has more calcium, but lower Lysine and Methionine and no animal protein sources. I know the starter is $20/50 lb, which is comparable, if not less than what I'm paying now. The 19% layer is $17ish/50lb. I didn't get a price on the 24% that I've got listed first. I'm not looking to save a buck at the expense of my birds, but I'd really like to know the community's thoughts on these options.

Golden Oak Game Bird Grower #24​

A Complete Feed For Growing Turkeys from 8-12 Weeks, Pheasants from 9-17 Weeks, and Starting & Growing Quail
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………… 24%
Lysine (Min) …………………………………………………………………………………….. 1.30%
Methionine (Min) ……………….………………………………………………………………. .30%
Crude Fat (Min) ………………………………………………………………………………….. 2.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) …………………………………………………………………………….. 5.25%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………. 1.00%
Calcium (Ca) (Max) …………………………………………………………………………… 1.50%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………………………………………………………………………….. .50%
Salt (NaCl) (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………….. .15%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) ………………………………………………………………………………. .35%
Sodium (Na) (Min) …………………………………………………………………………….. .20%
Sodium (Na) (Max) ……………………………………………………………………………. .50%

Ingredients: Grain products, plant protein products, animal protein products (fishmeal), molasses products, calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, dical-cium phosphate, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vita-min B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid.

Golden Oak Game Bird Starter #28​

A Complete Feed For Growing Turkeys from 0-24 Weeks, Pheasants from 0-17 Weeks, and Starting & Growing Quail
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) …………. 28%
Lysine (Min) ………………… 1.60%
Methionine (Min) ……………. .55%
Crude Fat (Min) ……………… 2.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) ………….. 5.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ….….. .90%
Calcium (Ca) (Max) …….,… 1.25%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………. .80%
Salt (NaCl) (Min) ……………. .20%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) …..……… .50%
Sodium (Na) (Min) …………. .20%
Sodium (Na) (Max) …………. .50%
Ingredients: Plant protein products, grain products, processed grain byproducts, animal protein products (fishmeal), calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, di-calcium phosphate, molasses products, salt choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, ferrous car-bonate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, zinc sulfate, copper oxide, cobalt carbonate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide.

Golden Oak 19% Laying Ration​

A Feed For Laying Chickens and Broilers from 6-8 weeks
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) ……………….……………………………………………… 19.0%
Lysine (Min) ………………..………………………………………………………. .86%
Methionine (Min) ………..…..…………………………………………………… .30%
Crude Fat (Min) …………….…………….……………………………………….. 3.5%
Crude Fiber (Max) …….……………….…………………………………………. 7.5%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ..……………………………………………………………. 2.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Max) …………..………..………………………………………. 3.0%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………..………………………………………………….. .50%
Sodium (Na) (Min) …………….………………………………………………… .10%
Sodium (Na) (Max) …………..…………………………………………………. .25%

Ingredients: Grain products, plant protein products, processed grain byproducts, forage products calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate dicalcium phosphate, molasses products.

A local feed store has this brand. I kind of like that they list fishmeal as a protein source in the two game bird options. I'm already supplementing with oyster shell, but would the calcium levels in the Grower be an issue? I also show the label for their 19% layer which has more calcium, but lower Lysine and Methionine and no animal protein sources. I know the starter is $20/50 lb, which is comparable, if not less than what I'm paying now. The 19% layer is $17ish/50lb. I didn't get a price on the 24% that I've got listed first. I'm not looking to save a buck at the expense of my birds, but I'd really like to know the community's thoughts on these options.

Golden Oak Game Bird Grower #24​

A Complete Feed For Growing Turkeys from 8-12 Weeks, Pheasants from 9-17 Weeks, and Starting & Growing Quail
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………… 24%
Lysine (Min) …………………………………………………………………………………….. 1.30%
Methionine (Min) ……………….………………………………………………………………. .30%
Crude Fat (Min) ………………………………………………………………………………….. 2.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) …………………………………………………………………………….. 5.25%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………. 1.00%
Calcium (Ca) (Max) …………………………………………………………………………… 1.50%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………………………………………………………………………….. .50%
Salt (NaCl) (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………….. .15%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) ………………………………………………………………………………. .35%
Sodium (Na) (Min) …………………………………………………………………………….. .20%
Sodium (Na) (Max) ……………………………………………………………………………. .50%

Ingredients: Grain products, plant protein products, animal protein products (fishmeal), molasses products, calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, dical-cium phosphate, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vita-min B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid.

Golden Oak Game Bird Starter #28​

A Complete Feed For Growing Turkeys from 0-24 Weeks, Pheasants from 0-17 Weeks, and Starting & Growing Quail
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) …………. 28%
Lysine (Min) ………………… 1.60%
Methionine (Min) ……………. .55%
Crude Fat (Min) ……………… 2.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) ………….. 5.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ….….. .90%
Calcium (Ca) (Max) …….,… 1.25%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………. .80%
Salt (NaCl) (Min) ……………. .20%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) …..……… .50%
Sodium (Na) (Min) …………. .20%
Sodium (Na) (Max) …………. .50%
Ingredients: Plant protein products, grain products, processed grain byproducts, animal protein products (fishmeal), calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, di-calcium phosphate, molasses products, salt choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, ferrous car-bonate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, zinc sulfate, copper oxide, cobalt carbonate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide.

Golden Oak 19% Laying Ration​

A Feed For Laying Chickens and Broilers from 6-8 weeks
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) ……………….……………………………………………… 19.0%
Lysine (Min) ………………..………………………………………………………. .86%
Methionine (Min) ………..…..…………………………………………………… .30%
Crude Fat (Min) …………….…………….……………………………………….. 3.5%
Crude Fiber (Max) …….……………….…………………………………………. 7.5%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ..……………………………………………………………. 2.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Max) …………..………..………………………………………. 3.0%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………..………………………………………………….. .50%
Sodium (Na) (Min) …………….………………………………………………… .10%
Sodium (Na) (Max) …………..…………………………………………………. .25%

Ingredients: Grain products, plant protein products, processed grain byproducts, forage products calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate dicalcium phosphate, molasses products.
What store?.. where is it located?

Back
Top Bottom