hub sells the eggs

poodlepill

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Southern Illinois
Ok, so I have a really great outlet for selling my eggs through my husbands work. First we gave away eggs and now we are actually getting a little cold hard cash.

The funny thing is now they are calling him "the egg man" at his work LOL.

Here it is reversed. I am the farmer and my wife does most of the selling. She's social being, so she gets around. No hard sell. The initiative has to come from others so there's no hard feelings or confusion with work/friend relationships. It works well for us. No, here in a rural, poor area, we cannot fetch West Coast prices, but we OK with $2.50 a dozen. If I couldn't get $2.00, I'd reduce my flock considerably.

Again, the division of labor in a marriage is fun, if done right.

I am new to this adventure, wondering how you 'advertise' you have eggs for sale? Recently was layed off from my job so my anxiously awaiting coworkers were very disappointed, not willing to endure the 70 mile commute to deliver. But with 15 baby chicks I am anticipating an average of just under a dozen a day come June/July which is too many for just my husband and I.

Nope, no advertising. I just had too many eggs and wanted to share so I sent some with hubby to give away after all I did not get chickens to sell eggs, I only got them for my enjoyment and egg color I like to see plus my own egg eating but because I am a chicken addict I have too many=too many eggs for just hub and me. I had 14 hens and one roo, I really didnt ever get 14 eggs a day, now I am down to 10 hens and 1 roo but I have 20, 10 week old pullets to ramp up in 2+ months. So hub really didnt ask for money but some offered, now I am not so over run with eggs, they seem to have slowed down a bit or I cant find where they are hiding extra eggs on my acreage (can happen) So now I only really have extra eggs for the people that said they wanted eggs every Monday and pay for it.

Fred's Hens :

Here it is reversed. I am the farmer and my wife does most of the selling. She's social being, so she gets around. No hard sell. The initiative has to come from others so there's no hard feelings or confusion with work/friend relationships. It works well for us. No, here in a rural, poor area, we cannot fetch West Coast prices, but we OK with $2.50 a dozen. If I couldn't get $2.00, I'd reduce my flock considerably.

Again, the division of labor in a marriage is fun, if done right.

I am also very rural and I get the $2 range. Its really just a donation to chicken feed anyway, I would take veggies/fruits in trade too no problem. On average I still give away eggs, I just like it and I love to see the faces when they see how beautiful the different colors are.​

I let the daughters make small "business cards" on the computer and pass out to people we know only. They get $2 a dozen for the eggs.

We certainly don't rely on the money and I let the girls keep it to go torward vacation money for them. In exchange, they care for the birds at least 50% of the time and they wash and put up the eggs. Our neighbors have become our biggest customers as we deliver about 5-6 dozen a week to them and others.

just started selling eggs, went to neighbors first - gave them first opportunity - sold 4 dozen yesterday $4.oo dozen...Large eggs

Me, too - mine won't lay until June/July, but as soon as I said this:

"You know, I saw a Dateline report one time about just how old the eggs are at the grocery store. Did you know they could be 45 days old? And no telling WHAT pesticides and growth hormones are fed to those chickens ..."

The look of horror on the listener's face was all it took. I figured $3.00 - 3.50/dozen - my friends know they are fresh and not pumped up with chemicals. It'll pay for feed.

I WISH it'd pay for my horses ...

cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom