Hubby & I saw a hilarious pet at PetsMart!- Let me see your cool cages

They are cute little things, for sure. My son and DIL had a couple, they really liked them. They are super fast, so holding them becomes a challenge. Gotta love 'em anyway!
thumbsup.gif

After working in the pet industry for over 15 years I decided early on that hamsters were just evil little creatures. I hated getting them for people. Once in a great while there would be a nice one but 95% of the time they just wanted to bite. If someone wanted to see one we would take it out of the cage and hold it for the customer so they could get a better look. The biggest no no was to let a small child hold a hamster. Too many parents would get very upset if the kid got bit and threaten to sue. That was one of the big reasons we had to institute a no hamster handling by customer policy. Gerbils on the other hand were great. But people didn't like the tails. Same with rats. Yet rats make fantastic pets.

They're cute!
**A warning: Never get Siamese Hamsters. They are very unfriendly and not much for pets. I was three when I had one... I have few memories of it, but I recall it biting people, having a dream that it bit me, and looking in its cage and seeing that it had passed away. I didn't grieve much, I don't think. If you're looking for a good pet, get a Teddy Bear hamster. I don't remember ours but I've been told that he was a great hamster... "Amazing" he was called.**

I never had any(not much into hamster, I prefer rats). But I worked with them when I use to work at a pet store. I found they were less aggressive then dwarf hamster(who would bite if you looked at them most of the time). But they really are way to active/hyper to try to hold. They are cute little tiny things. Always reminded me a a grumpy little old man with those bushy eyebrows.

Quote:
these are not teddy bear hamsters. They are about 1/3 the size. We had a teddy bear hamster that we were told was a male and it turned into 7 hamsters one afternoon! Called the pet store and said, you might want to check your genders again because Romeo just became Juliet! They are cute to have for a while but a lot of work and I'd rather have more chickens.... wasn't to terribly sad when our passed on. They don't have a long life expectancy either which was hard on my daughter.

I know this!
wink.png

I was just saying to google Teddy Bear hamsters because they are cute, I never said they were Teddy Bear Hamsters.
hmm.png

We were told they would not bite by the pet store. We got one and well, she bites. My 9 year old gets her to sit in her food dish and then picks up the food dish and can sometimes pet her back but it took daily attempts and multiple times to get it to this...then she can get her to jump into the hamster ball this way.

They are very fast and I've had her escape because of the stupid cage before and it was a race between me, the cats, and the dog...I won...the only time the hamster let me pick her up without biting me. brat.

She is really fun to watch on her wheel though...such a spaz....her name is Half pint.

oh and we have a teddy bear we get to hold and love on...he's a sweety...his name is Chester Copperpot.

Last edited:
I think the Robos are cute and funny!

But for snuggling... I looove my Cambells dwarf (Russian dwarf) hamster. He is sooo sweet.
He doesen't nibble.. but he does lick my fingers
tongue.png

He lets me know when he wants to come out and get attention by going up in the little top-openy-nest-thing part of the cage (Crittertrail) and then he has his fun sniffing and licking me and getting cuddled with and petted.

I had the teddy bears once upon a time and they bit
sad.png

I can tell you I want a couple SO BAD!!! I don't need them to cuddle or hold....I just love to watch them!!!

I also love all the silly accessories they have now that they didn't have when I was little!

Look at this cool set-up:
hamstercage.jpg

I think I'll change the title to "Let's see your cool hamster/gerbil set-ups" and see what everyone else has
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom