Hubby says no to moving them outside

I move mine outside at 6 weeks if its warm enough outside. I wait longer, about 7-8 weeks if its cooler outside.

I also use heating plates as the chicks seem to acclimate to cooler conditions quicker then using a heat lamp. But they don't get the plate anymore when moved.

It looks like you already have a separate run area, is that your Rooster? That looks like an ideal place if you covered it. Even blue jays or crows will take chick.
Anyway, an idea now is to give them a box or something to go in at night in their brooder and give up the artificial heat source. Put some bedding inside. Train them to go in at night by putting them in their box. They won't like it at first. But this prepares them to be in outdoor temps and where to go to get warm. And you can move the box outside with them to until they're integrated into the flock. Summer and into fall is your perfect time to get them 70's is not going to harm them.
If you set the box open on it's side, pull the side flaps out and rest the top flap on them, add some tape to hold it and it makes a nice little porch. The bottom flap can be pulled up/in to close the entrance when you put them in. You can kind of see it here. I kept puttimg them in even once they were outside until they went in on their own.View attachment 2271709
That ‘rooster’ is supposed to be a hen lol! Haven’t seen any roo tendencies yet so keeping our fingers crossed!

Yeah I thought the Polish looked a bit too young too but have never had that breed.
Thank you for the info! We’ve not had polish before so I know very little about them. Lots of reading to do, but will trust y’all on the approximate age.

I need some advice please.

We’ve got 4, 3-week old chicks, and 2, 2 month (we’re guessing here as they were given to us but they’re about twice the size of the babies) old chicks that are in a separated cage inside our house.
Daily temps here are high 90’s during the day, low to mid 70’s at night.
I say they’re ready to be moved outside, he says no.
They can go outside, in the cage, on our concrete back porch or in the run with the bigger girls.
what do y’all think?
I have enjoyed reading all the responses to your question. I have been married for 35 years so I would recommend waiting until hubby feels comfortable. If he's not comfortable & something goes wrong, he's going to look at you lol. The babies grow so quickly, hubby will feel comfortable very soon.

With the setup, two different flocks w/ possible diseases, and what I just experienced with my integration of 3 1/2 week and 12 week birds, I'd say keep inside for a week or two more. That and the fact there is a disagreement between you two, it's not worth the fretting, there chickens for Pete's sake. Now the argument of water and food in the coop versus the run, that's worth the fight (JOKE! no seriously it's worth it. :) )

Is the photo of the 2 groups current? The littlest ones look younger than 3 weeks.

I'll be the voice of dissent, I raise my chicks outdoors in colder temperatures (lows were around 48F) and my goal is to have them off heat between 3-4 weeks. They don't need to be fully feathered, mostly feathered is fine, especially with warmer temperatures as you have.

If your outside temps are about same as where they're located indoors, start weaning them off heat now, and they'll be ready to go out by end of the week.

Getting them out early also lets you get started on integration with your existing flock, as that will take a couple of weeks at least. Do you already have an integration plan?

Thank you for the info! We’ve not had polish before so I know very little about them. Lots of reading to do, but will trust y’all on the approximate age.

I only raised chicks in a brooder once and swore never again. Since then I only use broody hens.

If you don't like messing with an indoor brooder then go out and purchase a reliable broody (show breeders or local chicken breeders with lots of birds usually have some they will sell). She will do all the work for you as long as you cooperate with her schedule and if you buy her chicks to raise you get the genders/breeds that you want.

It is the best way in every regard, super happy chicks raised the way nature intended, hardly any work for me, and they are flock members from a very young age as long as they are raised in the hen house/coop so there are no integration headaches. Plus it is absolutely fascinating to watch.

Is the photo of the 2 groups current? The littlest ones look younger than 3 weeks.

I'll be the voice of dissent, I raise my chicks outdoors in colder temperatures (lows were around 48F) and my goal is to have them off heat between 3-4 weeks. They don't need to be fully feathered, mostly feathered is fine, especially with warmer temperatures as you have.

If your outside temps are about same as where they're located indoors, start weaning them off heat now, and they'll be ready to go out by end of the week.

Getting them out early also lets you get started on integration with your existing flock, as that will take a couple of weeks at least. Do you already have an integration plan?

But does that mean they'd have a hard time with really hot temperatures also? And would low humidity with high heat be more dangerous also?

I need some advice please.

We’ve got 4, 3-week old chicks, and 2, 2 month (we’re guessing here as they were given to us but they’re about twice the size of the babies) old chicks that are in a separated cage inside our house.
Daily temps here are high 90’s during the day, low to mid 70’s at night.
I say they’re ready to be moved outside, he says no.
They can go outside, in the cage, on our concrete back porch or in the run with the bigger girls.
what do y’all think?
I agree keep them outside. Chicks make your home disgusting. Unless you dont mind ruining your house

Back
Top Bottom