Hubby told me that hens can crow!!

Quote:
Actually, hens do have two ovaries, but only one produces the eggs.

Does anyone else find it awkward that Sebrights are the breed with the most crowing hens?
hu.gif

Quote:

Does anyone else find it awkward that Sebrights are the breed with the most crowing hens?
hu.gif

LOL, I was thinking the same thing,
lol.png

Hi Shay!

I had an Asil hen that would crow at times. She'd do it while standing under one of our windows. Surprised me the first time I heard it, because I knew it wasn't Mr Moe and we had no other roos at the time!

Quote:

hu.gif

LOL, I was thinking the same thing,
lol.png

AND... the roosters are HEN feathered? Weird.

My game hens are the only ones I ever heard crow, and it tends to be when they have chicks. I have to agree with it being a dominance issue. Most of my game hens when they have babies, can get pretty violent.

My chicken crowed yesterday. I hoped she was a chicken. Is it for sure that shes a rooster because of a couple of cock a doodle doos? Her name is Peeps and her buddy is named Red.

I think Peeps is a leghorn, with brown on the wings and neck. She or He has no spurs to speak of. Got him her in April, running down the street as a small feathered chicken.

THanks,
Edie

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

for that breed, you should see if it has any type of pointy feathers, called teh saddle or hackles, the saddles are feathers that run from the back neer the tail down. the hackles are pointy feathers around teh neck, if it has these then it is a boy. if rounded tipes of feathers then it is a girl.

Thank you! Thank you! This is a great help. Already had to trade a SLW hen that turned out to be a roo and today my sweet BO, Ethel was crowing but she totally looks and acts like a hen 2 10 weeks. Now I woon't have to worry so much...getting attached to my girls.
roll.png

Yes I have had hens crow and or in this case they are raspy crowing but if you "youtube" crowing hens, it does occur. I think it is neat and funny because it catches me off guard when one of my hens do that.

Back
Top Bottom