Hubby told me that hens can crow!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shay20, Jan 8, 2010.

1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Hello, so i have learned from my hubby that hens can crow, he raised a poultry farm in Puerto Rico growing up, and he has seen it happen.
    So when i see post on here about there hen crowing, i say yep it can happen,
    ( but i have not seen it yet in my own eyes) THAT IS TILL NOW!!! LOL

I have a golden seabright that layed out a pathetic crow the other night, she is young. i told hubby, he sayd to me are you sure it is a girl? I said most definitly, has no saddles nor hackles.

he says watch it be a boy, i said no way,

well guess what, he went to check on them last night and guess what he found in her area, HER FIRST EGG!!!! [​IMG]

I said HAHAHA Told you.

So now i see it with my own 2 eyes,- A HEN CAN CROW- Actully she is a pullet, but yep. [​IMG]

2. parrillofarms

parrillofarms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    vermont, il
    ive heard of hens crowing... its weak though

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Quote:In sebrights roosters are hen feathered so they don't have no pointy hackle or saddle feathers either.

But yes, hens can crow and it usually sounds quite pathetic.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I have a golden seabright that layed out a pathetic crow the other night, she is young. i told hubby, he sayd to me are you sure it is a girl? I said most definitly, has no saddles nor hackles.

Seabright roosters can come "normal feathered" and Henny feathered (Hf).

Henny Feathering: Hf
    An autosomal incomplete dominate gene causes female-type plumage structure and (if applicable) plumage pattern and colors on males.
    It works by affecting the hormones in the feather follicles, and is a breed characteristic of Campines, Henny Game, pullet-breeder Pencilled Hamburghs and Sebrights.

As for hens crowing, I read on here that they can if conditions, hormones etc. are right.

Chris​

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  5. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    I saw a game hen of mine crow once, and she had 4 week old younguns.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have an adorable little MF D'Uccle. She crows proudly and lays cute little eggs. She has NO interest in ANY roo.

7. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Golden Sebright hen that crows. Let me tell you it is not weak or pathetic she belts out those crows.

We are not allowed roosters where I live which we knew but the old neighbor turned us in. You should have seen the AC Officer's face when I told him that Lilac is a hen not a rooster.

Here she is, my little crower.
    [​IMG]

8. thatpotteryguy

thatpotteryguy Passing as a responsible adult

Jun 20, 2009
    Adamstonwn, MD
    Yeah, both my golden sebright hen (the junior one in the pecking order) and my boss hen, an old Australorp, tend to crow. Usually first thing in the morning. Margaret Hatcher, the Autralorp, is pretty loud, but doesn't sustain it more than a couple minutes. Stella, the banty sebright, will happily crow all day long, especially when she's laying.

9. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    When I was a kid and my sister whistled all the time. My mother thought whistling was very un-ladylike and would tell her “A whistling woman and a crowing hen, neither one comes to any good end.”
    One of our hens started crowing. We had chicken and dumplings for supper. My sister’s urge to whistle decreased significantly
    [​IMG]

10. FeatherFluff

FeatherFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NC-VA border
    We also have a Golden Sebright hen that crows daily and lays a lovely egg every other day. The kids love that French Fry (9 yo named the hen) crows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by