Hudson Valley NY *chat thread*

Boy, oh boy, do I hate it when I don't get on here in a few days ... So much chit chat to catch up on! Forgive me if any you asked me anything specifically and I didn't answer...I'm ready now. lol I loved looking at all the chick and coop pics! Beautiful birds, beautiful digs; gives me way to many ideas. Our coop roof is leaking...ugh...both ends of the laying boxes get wet. Luckily, there are two rows of 5, and the middle 6 stay dry until we figure it out.
Bears! Yikes! There are a lot of woods behind us...but luckily no bears. If you were to walk from our back yard, thru the woods, you would eventually end up coming out on Rt. 32 near Jeanne Drive. I just have to say that lady Claire, the salmon Faverolles is an amazingly sweet bird. She has still been sleeping in the house at night though...the other birds pick on her. She adores being cuddled and tucks up in my arms and coos herself to sleep. My EE and SLW act like I'm a big chicken eating monster and run from me. They settle down eventually...but, geeze we've had them since they were a few days old...they're just over 3 months old now. Claire is 10 weeks. And okay....I have problems, I know....cuz we got a new chicken. Sigh. Its true. I read that Faverolles do better a with one of their kind... And she's just too sweet and affectionate to be picked on....sooo, we now have Queen Fifi, a 3 week old lavender salmon Faverolles. I found your guy Randy, Lexi. He said he didn't have any Faverolles for sale right now..but I told him how Claire is the odd bird out (preferring to be in my arms rather than the coop)and I was hoping that a friend would help ease her into the flock....he called me back and said he had one that he had planned on keeping, but my sad story changed his mind. So now we have 2 indoor, affectionate, overly needy birds in the house. Lol My kids are like really?? Really, really?? Hold on...gonna send this before I lose it. Lol

Hi. I used to live in Poughkeepsie but moved to Copake Falls in Columbia County. We are new chicken owners and have 52 broilers and 6 chickens we are going to keep for eggs with 4 more arriving this week. RIRs, Barred and Partridge rocks and one mystery chick. 2 broilers are small...healthy just little I may keep them for eggs if they stay small. They are in with the egg chicks right now.

Hi. I used to live in Poughkeepsie but moved to Copake Falls in Columbia County. We are new chicken owners and have 52 broilers and 6 chickens we are going to keep for eggs with 4 more arriving this week. RIRs, Barred and Partridge rocks and one mystery chick. 2 broilers are small...healthy just little I may keep them for eggs if they stay small. They are in with the egg chicks right now.
Hello Joanmcm~

52 broilers, wow! Are you going to process them yourself? Any roosters in your flock?
You've definitely come to the right place. BYC is full of great information and everyone is really helpful. And we have lots of fun here in the Hudson Valley chat thread.
wee.gif
Oh..and we like pictures...lots of pictures!

I live in New Windsor. We have 13 chickens of various breeds; no eggs yet but I'm anxiously awaiting the day one of my girls decides to start earning her keep around here. Until then, I'm giving subtle hints and bribing them.

Welcome~!

One barred rock roOster in w the egg chickens. The broilers are straight run so a bunch of roosters there.

Here is a video of our night security system. Yes those are motion and sound activated Halloween decorations.
9F88EFD0-5DD0-46EB-81F9-F51F89C58DC8-28289-000010E4FE03DD9A.mp4
hope it works photo bucket has been terrible lately.

Welcome Joan! Wow, broilers sounds cool...but I don't think I could do it. I tend to get a little attached. Lisa, I don't know as that I'm a good chicken momma or just touched in the head. Lol Ace is doing great. You'd never know she had a booboo.
Our chicken count is holding at 9 now. I have no idea what the dimensions of our coop and run are...I'll have to ask hubby, or measure it. The inside is a duplex...it was the kids play house...we have over kill with 10 nesting boxes..but it was free and came that way. Lol We have 3 ducks coming the week of the 24th. I miss duckies terribly. They are so comical. The chicks free range in the back yard all day...lots bushes and trees to hide under. Lisa, did you eat the duck and Guinea hen eggs? Okay, catch y'all later!

Evening everyone, Welcome Joan! What kind of broilers? My sister in VT raises them as well. Great vid and ideas with the jack-o-lantern motion-sensor and ghost, I assume that's to scare the predators away? Seems very effective, and the chickens don't seem to mind it either LOL.

Lisa, glad you got your EE's beak fixed up so she can eat, sounds like it is working. Hawks are another worry of mine! We have tons of them here too. I'll need to build Fort Knox here to keep my future chickens safe.

Laura, very cute Faverolle, I hear they are very sweet, she looks it.

My co-worker whose coop got broken into by the bear last week said he has had no return visits since he stopped leaving the feeder in the coop at night. So far so good, finger's crossed. I'm going to send him a link to Joan's motion-sensor Halloween set-up, I bet that would startle the bears.

Have a good night!

Laura, did Randy show you all his birds? did you his see the Lavender Orpingtons??!?
Im glad you got a friend for you claire!

Back
Top Bottom