Huge Crop Possible Cause: Insulation

Sylvestor12

Songster
7 Years
May 13, 2012
My Blue Laced Wyandotte hen has a giant crop but is extremely skinny. I just now found out today because she's really fluffy and I didn't notice any behavior that would indicate a problem but I'm sure it's an issue. I felt her around and checked everywhere for issues but I found none besides the crop. Our chickens love eating pink insulation for some reason and I think that may have plugged her up. I'm going to give her yolk water to see if she can have that go down for nutrition but I don't know what to do. I have heard of that crop surgery but I was hoping that there might be a different solution of some sort. Thanks for the advice!

I'd give her some olive oil, and then massage the crop. This might help it go down, too. Don't give her much solid food for 24 hours or so to help the crop empty. But, give water, egg yolk, and other liquid substances: you don't want her getting dehydrated, which would make the crop worse.

Crop massage has mixed results. Sometimes it works and sometimes it pushes the blockage further down and will never come out even if you do crop surgery because it is too far down the digestive tract.

If she is losing weight I would consider crop surgery. If her poops turn green she is starving to death and you'll have to make a choice of trying to save her or put her down.

Back
Top Bottom