Huge Dandelion Greens (PIX)

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
My chickens LOVE Dandelion greens. And this year I am having a bumper crop!! Have you ever seen such giant leaves on a Dandelion?

Mar2009Dandeliongreensemail.jpg

Just to see how much my hens loved dandelions, I collected some that I popped out of the lawn. After rinsing, these weeds went in a plastic bag, roots and all, and into the microwave for a minute. The hens ate them, roots and all
smile.png
!

I'm looking forward to being able to do that again this year. My backyard lawn is fairly small and greens are a little slow to show up from the garden. Bag full of dandelion . . . and I'm a hero
smile.png
!

Now as far as luscious dandelions, they are pretty good as a veggie dish for us, too. . . . use only the nicest, fast-growing plants. Boil just for a few minutes then pull out and stir-fry in hot oil - quite good.

But, you don't need to eat the roots
wink.png

Steve

I harvest dandies every day for my torts and now for the chickens. Fortunately, I have enough for all the animals, and when I don't I just go for a walk. But, why would you cook them for the chicks?

Quote:
I don't cook them for the chickens. I just put them in the little hanging cage feeder, or I give the leaves to them by hand.

They don't like much in the way of cooked anything. They like things raw!!

Back
Top Bottom