Huge hawks

Yes the hens make a hawk call too but it seems like the roosters are more alert to watch for hawks. My rooster sure earned his place with the flock during the hawk attacks. Our dog got several steaks for his reward to be so protective of the flock.

Patty

That definitely makes sense. I wish we could get a rooster, they're so handsome and I always hear how protective they are. :/

And a steak dinner sounds like a great reward! Lol

Last edited:
You will loose a few birds to hawks, but it is a small price to pay for the benefits of free range. The best hawk defense is a well organized and alert flock and a cock helps with that. Even the quicker Coopers Hawk stands little chance against a chicken that sees him coming. Some cover can help as well. I am planting shrubs throughout my range to provide places to duck into, also the birds just like hanging out under the branches.

I definitely agree so I think I'm going to do it. Besides, a big reason I got them is because we have plenty of space with almost 3 acres. I'll definitely have to plant some plants and add shelters. Gonna be hard if i do lose any cause they're also pets but i figure it's worth it or maybe with shelter they'll be okay

I definitely agree so I think I'm going to do it. Besides, a big reason I got them is because we have plenty of space with almost 3 acres. I'll definitely have to plant some plants and add shelters. Gonna be hard if i do lose any cause they're also pets but i figure it's worth it or maybe with shelter they'll be okay
Be prepared to loose a chicken. I have lost one this year, but none last year. Not bad. When you look at your flock and you see them on fresh grass, free ranging, doing what chickens are suppose to do, it is worth it. And if you could ask them, I am sure they would agree. The alternative for me is unacceptable. If you see one of my birds standing on dirt, it's because they chose to, not because they have to. I would be more concerned about 4 legged predators. They can wipe out your flock with one attack. I have electric net fencing which takes care of that. Good Luck.

Be prepared to loose a chicken. I have lost one this year, but none last year. Not bad. When you look at your flock and you see them on fresh grass, free ranging, doing what chickens are suppose to do, it is worth it. And if you could ask them, I am sure they would agree. The alternative for me is unacceptable. If you see one of my birds standing on dirt, it's because they chose to, not because they have to. I would be more concerned about 4 legged predators. They can wipe out your flock with one attack. I have electric net fencing which takes care of that. Good Luck.

Not sure it's easy to prepare/probably still comes as a shock but I will definitely try.

But yeah, they seem like they're so happy to be able to run around and be a chicken. And you're definitely right about the dirt because they ruin it very quickly. Plus I feel like even if you have a huge run or bigger than needed or whatever, it's still fenced in and they'll probably still destroy it eventually, even if it takes longer. With a huge run they do still have room to... Well... Run and flap about but I feel like it's still not the same plus most people, especially urban environments, don't have huge runs. And I've noticed, and maybe this is just me, that it sort of seems like even a properly sized coop and run (I'm going by 4 sq. ft. Inside, 10 outside) still seems kind of on the small side. Like it really doesn't seem like that much space. I taped an area similar to what i wanted and where i wanted a while ago and I was amazed at how on paper it seems so huge and like plenty of space but in reality it seemed tiny.

But yeah, I'm worried about the 4 legged ones too and our own dog. We have a lot.more coyotes though lately and a fox but hopefully they don't strike during the day

Thank you. It is so hard! I just want to make diapers for them all and bring them into the house! My other very special girl is on the bed now.... I had no idea I had gotten so attached. They are just so gentle and defenseless. I hope you have no such tragedies!

Thank you. It is so hard! I just want to make diapers for them all and bring them into the house! My other very special girl is on the bed now....  I had no idea I had gotten so attached.  They are just so gentle and defenseless. I hope you have no  such tragedies!

I can understand that!! And thanks, I hope so too!

Two jumped off myleg or fell when i was sitting with them earlier (on the toilet so I was lower but don't worry not using it lol) and i was really worried cause it's at least a foot and they landed on tile but they seemed perfectly fine after. One was the handicapped one though but it was so cute, she took it in stride and snuggled up next to my shoe lol and she was eating today

Back
Top Bottom