HUGE lump on hens right breast side!

rooster-red

Here comes the Rooster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2007
Douglasville GA
I'm new to the forum and I need a little help please.

I have a 20 week old white leghorn hen (Lucy) that has a huge hard lump that has come up on the right side of her breast in just the last 8 hours or so.

She didn't have this lump when I came home for lunch today.

This lump is 5-6 times the size of her head!

I've tried to find any punture marks, can't find any.

Any ideas as to what this lump might be?

Think its life threatening?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

I have pics, just haven't figured out how to post them yet.

Quote:
Yes this IS an old thread...

"new to the forum" :lol What are you now, Flock Master?

Um.. yeah.
wink.png

She probably has a full crop from eating well all day. Just check her in the morning when you let them out, it'll probably be gone by then. If not, post here again because you might have a problem if it's not gone down.

:wootMy chickens did get extra feed today becase DW did not know I fed before leaving for work.
tongue.png

Thank you so much for your reply. (Whew)I'm so glad I joined this site:D

So what is a crop? I should know this.
idunno.gif
Mine always have a large lump on the right side. Is that ok? I thought one of my pullets had a tumor or something until I realized they all had it.

I know its part of the diguestive tract.
I didn't know it was on the right side.

My first thought was also that it might be some sort of tumor, but it came up really too quick.

Oh my..rooster red...I am soooooo glad you posted this. Our chicks are 8 weeks old and a few of them have been ""really lopsided"" and I was worried! It really looks like an infection or a tumor. It ended up going away but then showed up on another hen! Each time it has been on the right side.

Thank you guys I love this site!!!

Lisa in FL

I just went out to the coop with a flashlight to look at Lucy, woke her up and she wasn't happy about it at all.:thun

Looks like the lump has shrunk a little, so maybe I won't go back and wake her again later.

Hi...it's me again....
We have had a few chickens get bloated in the right breast area (as I stated above) I was wondering if this is from actual "overeating". We give our chicks access to food all day. Is this a bad thing? We have a feeder that holds a bunch of feed but they all seem to eat then play. Just a few have had the bloating?!

What are your ideas?

editing to add: the bloating is not a regular thing...I just noticed it a few times with different chickens.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've ever had anything like this happen.

This hen is in a run/coop with 9 other hens and 2 roosters, and they show no signs of this.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom