HUGE lump on hens right breast side!

Did you know that chickens (and other birds) often eat gravel which goes in their crop, along with food, for storage, then passes through their stomach and into their gizzard where the gravel helps to break the food up. In fact, the crops of doves and pigeons produce "crop milk" which enables them to regurgitate their food for feeding nestlings. Other animals that have crops include reptiles, insects, mollusks, and even earthworms.
smile.png

Hi all,
I'm having a bit of a chuckle on reading this ...and I understand exactly where you're coming from - I posted almost exactly the same question (my first!) a few months ago, I was convinced my girls ALL had some sort of weird cancerous growth....turns out its just part of normal chicken life.
Cheers
Jane

I was so confused when I started reading the first thread, then I looked at the date and realized that it is old. I was like hey ..... Rooster Red isn't a new member.

I'm so glad someone dug this up, b/c I've been concerned about a few of my chickens. I've been worried about impacted or sour crop. There has been so many birds with it lately. I've been watching one of my EE closely lately to try to see if it's a reg full crop from just eating well or turning to something else.

It's my EE Grady, she has a crooked beak. She is very well adapted. She eats out of the side of her beak, but I think it takes her twice as many pecks to pick up food. I use to worry about her and feed her with a syringe when she was about 4 months old. She is now 7 months old, gaining weight, eating on her own, and even lays an occassional egg. I didn't think she would ever get enough nutrients in her to lay an egg. My husband didn't think she would make it and kept warning me she might not make it. She's one of my favorites and she's a trooper.

Anyway! She eats all day long and always has the bulging right side at the end of the day. It worries me, so I'm watching it closely.

I love this site! It's so helpful.

Smitty's Farm :

I was so confused when I started reading the first thread, then I looked at the date and realized that it is old. I was like hey ..... Rooster Red isn't a new member.

I did the same thing. I actually thought he was just goofing around. Then I noticed the date.​

phew, i was worried at first, but with my chickens the lump never gos down.......
is it because i leave food out for them all day long until they go in at night?
so is it better to just feed every so often or what?

spaka74, most chickens should be allowed free choice food (big, fat broilers might be the exception here). Most chickens will "stock up" right before bed, too. It's no worry at all, unless you notice their crops are big and full when they come out of the coop first thing in the morning.

So, I just give my girls a once-over when I let them out to make sure all is well ~ not just with crops, but general health too. As long as the crop is emptying over night, all should be well.

Back
Top Bottom