Huge Mistake-HELP!

Tinted

Songster
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Kentucky
I am bawling my eyes out while writing this, I noticed my male TR gosling was limping terribly and it was easy to see why. His leg band still on his leg with him going on his third week of life. I did not know to remove it and believed due to its design that it would simply move with his leg and fall off when he grew larger. I broke down crying and removed all the leg bands on my young trio as gently as possible. The two female’s legs are indented but appear to be functioning fine however the male does not put any weight on it. I feel horrible and have been crying my eyes out for over 4 hours thinking what to do. I called Metzer Farms and told them what I had done (mom called seeing as I was a sniffling mess), and they told her his leg will heal on its own. I can’t believe I hurt them they are my babies, this is my entire fault. He was not limping at all until today, so I did not realize it until a few hours ago when we went for our morning graze and he kept falling over. Since then I have separated him from the trio and moved him inside, let him swim around in the bathtub to take the weight off the leg, and now he is sleeping wrapped in a towel on my lap.

His leg is indented and was bleeding a bit, but is now indented and swollen. But after the swim some of the swelling went down.

I was so stupid. Is there anything anyone can think of to help him that I have not already done?

Thank you so much.

I would continue to keep him separated like you are doing. Maybe a soak in a bathtub of warm water and epsom salts. That will help clean it out. I would also try and put neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on it. I wouldn't wrap it. Just try and keep it clean. Geese are really messy and he shouldn't get into their shared pool until he is healed up.

Sounds like you are doing everything right!
hugs.gif
Don't beat yourself up over it. We've all made rookie mistakes and luckily you caught it early and it doesn't sound like any permanent damage was done.

Keep us updated!

Shelly

I wouldn't use epsom salts, I'm not sure on geese, but chickens shouldn't have high levels of salt. If you have the gosling in salted water, he is bound to drink it. Put some neosporin without pain (no 'caine') on it and maybe wrap it with gauze where the abrasion is, he should be okay.

I had bought some silkies off a member here last fall, had them shipped. I noticed one day that one of them was limping. I had no idea they even had leg bands, but that's was the problem. You couldn't even hardly see the band, it was embedded that bad. A friend of mine removed it for me, put some antibiotic on it, and she was good as new. It took her a few days to lose the limp, but she got back to normal very quickly.

He'll be OK honey ((((((hugs)))))))) For all he knew, he just had a little monster on his leg and YOU SAVED HIM
big_smile.png

His leg will be fine. Like the other's have said, use neosporin and keep his swimming water clean. Geese have great immune systems. If he is healthy, his diet is good and his environment reasonably clean, you'll forget which leg the boo boo is on in a week
smile.png

Be Sure to use neospoein in the cream form NOT ointment - it'll mess up his feathers/down and he won't be able to self insulate - think birds/oil slick=trouble. Cream is much kinder. And YES, make sure it is the type that does not have pain relief ingredients added in. Birds can't tolerate the pain ingredients.

He'll be just fine. Keep him clean - let him swim he'll be fine in no time at all!

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you all so much. He is my baby and currenly wrapped up in a towel sleeping on my lap after getting his "neo" treatment chirping in his sleep. I love them all so much, they are the feather babies. I will keep updating on his progress. Again thank you all so much.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom