Huge protrusion from vent!! Is my hen in danger???

Pics
So glad that you helped to get your hen back to normal. Sorry that I lost track of this thread, but it can take some time of soaking, applying honey, and pushing a prolapse back in. Be aware that a prolapse could be possible again in the future. That can attract pecking and vent injury. Good luck.
Now I know what to look for. When this first started, I was totally freaked out. Another "check" for things you never thought you would do raising chickens! Thanks for all your help and support!

I'm very glad your hen seems fine. The only thing I would add is to watch the urates, if she is still leaking from her vent. I had a hen who was injured in her vent and she leaked urates for days. I tried everything I could but the urates dried and actually covered her vent and she couldn't poop. It was like cement. I bathed her and got her vent uncovered and she pooped a huge poop in her bath water. Just make sure your girl can poop, urates are so very hard to clean when they dry
Yes - thanks! She was dripping urates non-stop after her vent appeared "better", which is one of the reasons I ended up making the sacrifice to get her to a vet (because I thought her vent was still prolapsed, and the urates was a big issue). The vet must have used something that only vets have to clean her up and "unplug" because there was no more drip after her vet visit and her feathers were finally completely clean (which I could not achieve when bathing her).

Back
Top Bottom