Huge snowstorm incoming. What to do?

Nov 19, 2019
NW New Jersey
Hi all. We have a pretty big snowstorm coming up really soon, with 12-20 inches of snow and really high wind. This is only my second winter with my flock, since last year it barely snowed. Does anyone know what I should do to make sure my birds stay safe? I have tarp wrapped around 75% of my run. Thanks.

Hi all. We have a pretty big snowstorm coming up really soon, with 12-20 inches of snow and really high wind. This is only my second winter with my flock, since last year it barely snowed. Does anyone know what I should do to make sure my birds stay safe? I have tarp wrapped around 75% of my run. Thanks.
Following this thread, we are having a snow storm in CT too

Get out the snow shovel.
Does your run have a solid roof?
Please post pictures of your setup.
How thick is the coop bedding?
I personally wrapped all sides of my run leaving the top triangular area open as well as the area between the rafters.
Make sure they have plenty of fresh water and feed and go to roost with full crops.
Have feed available at first light. They'll be fine.

Get out the snow shovel.
Does your run have a solid roof?
Please post pictures of your setup.
How thick is the coop bedding?
I personally wrapped all sides of my run leaving the top triangular area open as well as the area between the rafters.
Make sure they have plenty of fresh water and feed and go to roost with full crops.
Have feed available at first light. They'll be fine.
Thanks. They currently and always have food and water available to them at all time. As for the roof, It is welded wire covered with either metal roofing or plastic sheeting. I'm thinking I'll need to periodically go out and shovel snow off from the top, so it doesn't get too high.

I know the snowstorm you’re talking about, as I’m getting it too, and chickens can survive in incredibly low temperatures as long as they are dry. Just make sure they have food and water any maybe a heat lamp if you’re comfortable and they should be fine for the day

I think its really going to depend on your set up for what kind of answers you'll get. Most often the chickens won't be out in a true storm. If you have a solid building as the coop with an attached run most likely they'll be spending their time in the building versus out in the run. As long as they're not getting blasted by the wind and have food/water they'll be fine for the storm. Chickens can handle pretty cold!

For me in that situation I'd probably bundle them up inside their coop (we have a building) give them food and water and they'd be fine. I probably would come out once the storm passed with a shovel to shovel out the run a bit and let them back out. They'll be fine being cooped up a bit if you have enough space.

I think its really going to depend on your set up for what kind of answers you'll get. Most often the chickens won't be out in a true storm. If you have a solid building as the coop with an attached run most likely they'll be spending their time in the building versus out in the run. As long as they're not getting blasted by the wind and have food/water they'll be fine for the storm. Chickens can handle pretty cold!

For me in that situation I'd probably bundle them up inside their coop (we have a building) give them food and water and they'd be fine. I probably would come out once the storm passed with a shovel to shovel out the run a bit and let them back out. They'll be fine being cooped up a bit if you have enough space.
Their run is covered on the top and sides, so hopefully no snow should be able to get in. I'm glad I covered the run with tarp before winter here. They'll have plenty of food and water, and maybe I'll even give them a little treat like corn or cooked oatmeal. Hopefully they'll stay fine for the storm. Thanks for the help!

That storm will hit you and move north to our area. We do a Fall preparation of the coop and run, here is a description Preparing the girls for winter. Putting up the plastic keeps out most of the snow. We have a flat run roof And a coop ridge vent, so removing the snow is important for safety and ventilation. Here are a couple pictures from a larger storm.

Attachments

• 20180104_132702 (1).jpg
    20180104_132702 (1).jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 10
  • cover.JPG
    cover.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 9
The snow should only be a problem if it collapses the roof or prevents you opening the door.

The chickens need a roof, protection from wind, food and water, and enough light to see in the daytime.
I'm guessing your coop provides all that :D
Yep, they'll even have some light in the coop if they need it, as well as motion sensing solar lights everywhere close to the coop. I'll keep an eye on the roof and make sure there isn't too much of a snow build up. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom