Human Incubation of Chicken Eggs

Incubated egg in cleavage?

• Yes, I have tried this myself, but only to keep an egg warm breifly while adjusting/prepping incubat

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Yes, I have done this and it failed (within the first 24 hours)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I have done this and it failed (within the first 48 hours)

• Yes, I have done this and it failed (within 4-7 days)

• Yes, I have done this, failed (longer than 7 days)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • No, I have never done this, and have never thought of it

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • No, I have never done this, but have thought of it, or joked about it

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No, I have never done this, but I have heard of others doing it

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters
I am wondering if you could do this with guinea eggs. I am tooooo terrified to do it with a chicken egg. The guinea egg shells are a heck of a lot stronger. But I don't know if this would work. I'd like to try it.

so far things are staying together. I even forgot about the egg at a recent Costco trip and picked up some large heavy boxes which i hefted up against my chest. No cracking or breakage. I suppose its safer the larger your 'nest' is though. I'd strongly encourage giving it a go. But then again, I haven't had a boob bomb go off....... yet.

My goodness... I seriously thought it was a joke when I read the thread title! But good luck all the same! I'd be interested to see how it goes for you (although I don't plan on doing it myself).

I've kept live chicks... you know, *there*... before, once for about twelve hours (I had a chick that managed to give itself concussion a few weeks ago and I didn't want to let it too far from me in case it died or something). Chicks seem to love being there as it's warm and cosy... but I'd never thought of putting an egg there to incubate it!

I look forwards to hearing more about what's happening with your egg!

If you can see veining, it's a good sign on development. It'll definitely be slower, since the temp is a bit low. I'm guessing it'll be a good 2 days slower.

If you post a picture of the candling, we can give our opinion.

Okay, update: I gave in!!!

i didn't see any veins at candling again today. I was tempted to give a few more days (again predicted delayed development by 2 or 3 days given a lower body tempt. I tried a float test, and it sunk fast. The air sack was pretty small, and had not grown at all and I was so worried that i was going to end up with a bomb.

What i got: I cracked the egg open and inspected. I could see a small pencil size blood spot in the middle of the clear substance, yoke was around that and there was a small (kindof kidney shaped size of a pony bead) flesh-like substance with blood vessels around it between the yoke area and the clear gel like substance. Smell: good, nothing but a warm smell. didn't have much of an odor at all.

so... thoughts?

should i have kept going????
hu.gif
Did I make a good call? Should I try again?!

after my observations im having some shell crackers regrets......

If you can see veining, it's a good sign on development. It'll definitely be slower, since the temp is a bit low. I'm guessing it'll be a good 2 days slower.

If you post a picture of the candling, we can give our opinion.

I tried to take pix before i broke it open, but they didn't turn out. using camera on droid. bummer. What are your thoughts based on the observations after i broke it open?

I've heard tell that if you break open a developing egg, often times you can still see it moving/heart beating for a few minutes afterwards. Everything I've broken open has been very, very dead so I don't know first hand. It definitely sounds like it had started to develop anyway.

http://eggcartonlabels.blogspot.com/2011/04/chicken-embryo-development-graphic.html Here's day by day photos of chick development. Did yours look like any of these pictures?

I've heard tell that if you break open a developing egg, often times you can still see it moving/heart beating for a few minutes afterwards. Everything I've broken open has been very, very dead so I don't know first hand. It definitely sounds like it had started to develop anyway.

http://eggcartonlabels.blogspot.com/2011/04/chicken-embryo-development-graphic.html Here's day by day photos of chick development. Did yours look like any of these pictures?

Wow! That's very informative!

Okay, update: I gave in!!!

i didn't see any veins at candling again today. I was tempted to give a few more days (again predicted delayed development by 2 or 3 days given a lower body tempt. I tried a float test, and it sunk fast. The air sack was pretty small, and had not grown at all and I was so worried that i was going to end up with a bomb.

What i got: I cracked the egg open and inspected. I could see a small pencil size blood spot in the middle of the clear substance, yoke was around that and there was a small (kindof kidney shaped size of a pony bead) flesh-like substance with blood vessels around it between the yoke area and the clear gel like substance. Smell: good, nothing but a warm smell. didn't have much of an odor at all.

so... thoughts?

should i have kept going????
hu.gif
Did I make a good call? Should I try again?!

after my observations im having some shell crackers regrets......

It definitely sounds like it started developing. It's hard to say what happened. Maybe it stopped developing, or maybe it was just developing really slow because of the low temp? I'm going to say try again, but mostly from a selfish point of view, because I'm finding this whole thread so fascinating, and truthfully, I've always wanted to try this.

As for when you candle, just remember that if you see veins, it's good. Also, it may take longer then usual to see the development, so I wouldn't give up very quickly. Don't worry, if it goes bad...you'll know.
sickbyc.gif

One of my broody hens hatched out two chicks 4 days ago. One of the remaining eggs has a chick in it....I can see it swimming around when I candle. Mama Hen has now abandoned the egg and ignores it as she hangs with her little babes. Feeling sick about the possibly viable chick die inside its' egg, I have tucked it into my sports bra. It's still moving around. I have the airsac facing down so it can start first pip easily. BUT I am wondering about it mess and if it will happen before I have to return to work in a day and a half....Anybody experienced this?

Back
Top Bottom