Human Incubation of Chicken Eggs

Incubated egg in cleavage?

• Yes, I have tried this myself, but only to keep an egg warm breifly while adjusting/prepping incubat

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Yes, I have done this and it failed (within the first 24 hours)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I have done this and it failed (within the first 48 hours)

• Yes, I have done this and it failed (within 4-7 days)

• Yes, I have done this, failed (longer than 7 days)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • No, I have never done this, and have never thought of it

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • No, I have never done this, but have thought of it, or joked about it

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No, I have never done this, but I have heard of others doing it

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters
One of my broody hens hatched out two chicks 4 days ago. One of the remaining eggs has a chick in it....I can see it swimming around when I candle. Mama Hen has now abandoned the egg and ignores it as she hangs with her little babes. Feeling sick about the possibly viable chick die inside its' egg, I have tucked it into my sports bra. It's still moving around. I have the airsac facing down so it can start first pip easily. BUT I am wondering about it mess and if it will happen before I have to return to work in a day and a half....Anybody experienced this?

I would keep it airsack up!!

Would you? I was thinking that having it down would allow the chick to be able to make first pip easily. Why would you do it up?

I have many times, but because I have the egg....in my cleavage and I am bending over so often, I was unsure as usually I turn the egg turner off in the 'bator three days prior to hatch to allow for the chick to have a still egg to peck at. Because I can't stay still and because I can't get the 'bator stabilized temp-wise quickly enough, I had thought down. But....*flips egg up* Let's see if that works....

Back
Top Bottom