1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Human "Intelligence" to Fix a Chicken Problem

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Catalina, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    In a perfect world this would work [​IMG] -

I would have 5 nest boxes for my 5 chickens, each nestbox would have an optical eye scanner and would only allow the chicken assigned to that nestbox into the nestbox.
    A small door would close behind the chicken - this would eliminate the other hens seeing their friend in the nestbox and standing in the center of the coop shouting "Someone's laying an egg! Someone's using MY nestbox!".
    When the hen was done laying her egg or if she changed her mind (as they do 50 - 100 times before laying an egg) there would be a small button on the inside of the nestbox that she could press and this would open the door of the nestbox.

Ta Da!!!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Great idea. Never gonna happen.

3. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    You could RFID chip your hens and have the auto-opener respond to specific chips..

Though really, that's a bit scary to think of someone doing [​IMG]
    -Spooky

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Takes a lot of free time to think up a project like that....lol

[​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Why dont you make a DNA scanner for your chickens? Or maybe a foot print scanner

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Do chickens have unique footprints? hmmm I am not too sure about that one. Maybe with injuries or etc etc.

But if we did any of these it would eliminate the joy we have on cold mornings having to lift 4 girls out of one nest box to find NO EGG YET! Only to repeat this procedure a couple more times before there are suddenly 4 eggs in there.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by