Human urine as predator deterrent?

Don't mean to pour any water on the fire, so to speak (Freud did opine that preventing such was one of the reasons women were responsible for mangaging the hearth)...

Foxes and Coyotes will act more wary, but will definitely come to check out the scent.

Hair might work in an area where there are few deer, but the high number of ungulate rats in our neck of the woods require welded wire cages staked with fence posts to keep the Pecan saplings from being stripped (dumped big bags of hair to no effect with first set of saplings - eaten to the ground), White Pine suffered similar fate. We've gone to ornamentals that are poisonous to deer (plenty of Wisterias/Castor Beans/etc.) and fence all the saplings.

old.gif
OK you young whippersnapper! You callin' me a fibber???

wink.png

Hey, ya, Wolfpacker, only a cloven hooves on the ground observation (one of our daughters worked at one tonsurial palace or another during college and brought us the foulest sweepings) - I hoped it would work.

As far as us males and the Great Outdoors - in my experience the reason/excuse never exists until after the fact.

(`kinda old and in the way, here -
That's what I heard `em say,
They used to heed the words I said
But that was yesterday...')

Where's Vassar Clements when ya need him?
wink.png

Last edited:
ya.gif

My son is going to be THRILLED about this!!!!

gig.gif

pop.gif

(you guys are FUNNY!!!)

Hair has worked for me in the past, for ground dwelling annoying pests that came to eat my strawberries....

So........if there is no man around and urine really does work, what are the ladies to do?......collect it in ye 'ole chamber pot and distribute it on the sly using a watering can?
lau.gif
lau.gif
Glad I have a 6 year old who is more than happy to help out in that department, should the need arise.
lol.png

I've heard that you can buy big cat (lion, tiger...) poop and pee from zoos and use it in a similar manner. I know of people who have used tiger poop in their gardens to scare off the deer and they say it works great. I think the human pee would work for really wild predators but many are too used to humans to be fazed by it. I think the fresh smell of tiger poo would make any coyote think twice about staying in the area.

What county do you live in chickbea? I live in Washington county, just across the border from Bennington county. We have three small zoos close by.

Human pee and hair can work as a deterent on *prey* animals. Critters that get eaten tend to spook from the scent.

Now things that hunt and kill, they don't get spooked by the scent. In fact, it calls them in to check it out. Pee is a very commonly used lure in trapping for that very reason. Bobcat pee works wonderfully to help call in foxes for example.

My DH and the dog have been peeing all around our property daily for over a decade - there is no deterrant to any animals like deer or javelina. Maby they know it is just the guy who feeds them? The coyotes and fox are often here at night and I have seen the bobcat a few times as well. BTW the nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, we are in the middle of 40 acres so privacy isn't a problem.

Picco - I'm in Washington County (VT). Can you use that sort of stuff if you have other animals, like cats? I can imagine my half-wild little cat smelling tiger poop and heading for the hills at top speed!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom