Humane Culling for Pet Chickens: Chopping Block or Kill Cone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with posters whom have said that the best way is the way that you are comfortable with, with the caveat that 'humane' means how it is for the chicken, not how it is for the human. It should be a method that induces loss of consciousness or death quickly with a minimum of pain or distress, for the chicken.
This article is the way I do it, and for many of the same reasons as the writer has:
https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2017/06/the-easiest-way-to-cull-chicken.html
This is not something I like doing, most people do not, but it is an unfortunate requirement that will happen eventually if you have chickens.
Phenobarbital is the most recommended way of euthanizing accepted by the AVMA, but obviously that is not an option for many chicken keepers, and not an option if the bird is to be processed for food.
The American Veterinary Medical Association guidelines condemn the use of household chemicals, cleaning agents, disinfectants, or pesticides as unacceptable euthanasia agents as well as hypothermia and drowning.

I'll share that I used it on an adult bird and it worked well. Not as little distress as with chicks, but it was still a quicker deather than bleeding out. I did try to bleed her out, but my hands were shaking so bad that I couldn't even get close to her throat. So, that wasn't happening.

I can handle a lot of things, but bleeding out a pet is not one of them.

As someone who's botched the kill cone cuts, then HAD to blunder on, you definitely made the right choice.

I actually have ordered pure ether for this eventuality, if it comes to it. That should have none of the toxic effects of starter fluid. Costs more, obviously. But a peaceful going-to-sleep for her is infinitely preferable to any of the other methods. Both for her and me.

I was under the impression that the total loss of blood pressure induced an unconscious state. Am I wrong? I'm no nurse, that's for sure!
<Snip!>
Possible. What I heard was in reference to human decapitation (which is one reason why it's no longer used) so I'm assuming something similar would also apply to a chicken. Be that as it may, until unconsciousness occurs the animal IS going to feel the pain of the decapitation.

Your chopping block/cone ,method will work. I don't believe in letting a bird "bleed out" to die. I take off the whole head immediately. Yes, the body will flap, twitch and bleed but the bird is dead, not dying.

Your chopping block/cone ,method will work. I don't believe in letting a bird "bleed out" to die. I take off the whole head immediately. Yes, the body will flap, twitch and bleed but the bird is dead, not dying.

Yes, I figured out the bleeding out is important only for meat production. It's not at all "needed" for culling for non-meat purposes.

Again these are loved pets. The chopping block did seem the fastest, surest way at first. There is no way we could bring ourselves to break a neck, etc. But this thread introduced me to the ether-based "gas chamber" approach. While not the simplest method, and it will take time, is certainly the most peaceful when done right. That is the method we have chosen.

The ether (research grade, not started fluid) arrived yesterday. We're now three weeks in to laying trouble. Things haven't reached "critical" yet. I have a feeling the next few days will be the make-or-break period, however. Time will tell.

I lived near a chicken farm in rural Bolivia, where chickens are sold with heads and feet still on. To kill, the chickens were placed upside down in plastic gallon containers that had the bottoms cut off. The containers were fixed to wooden posts. The chickens' necks were gently stretched through the bottom opening, while the containers held them immobile. A small knife/cutter went in through the gaping mouth to sever the arteries, so the chicken could bleed out into the concrete trough below. When all the blood was gone, the chickens were processed, and the troughs were thoroughly hosed out. Quick, clean, and efficient. I couldn't have done the cutting, but I had to appreciate the process.

For me, it's not the method of the deed, per se - but the flapping afterward. Their nervous system flapping and flailing.

Despite the method you choose, you could consider tying their wings to their body or wrapping them up somehow so that it looks visually less distressing. Especially for a pet.

I agree- the jerking of the body as nervous system shuts down can be very unnerving. I don't want to see lots of blood when euthanizing a pet chicken either.
This was an extremely hard thing for me to get used to & as I learned more about chickens & enjoyed them more, it only got harder. However, my husband used to work in an animal shelter & he often reminds me that if we can no longer give an animal a good life, it is our responsibility to end suffering & to give the creature a "good death". (Literally, the word "euthanasia" means giving a good death.)
Ending suffering/ not allowing it to be prolonged is a true act of love & kindness. I had to learn a way that I could go through with it without a lot of difficulty, if one of our birds was suffering. For me, I wrap the bird in a towel or large rag, so that it's head is covered & speak to it gently to relax it, as I lay it on a hard surface, (rock or hard wood), then strike the head with one hard, quick blow of a heavy bat. It is always awful, but I feel that doing it this way is best, as I can keep the bird calm until the act & they never see it coming. The blood is minimal & since they are rolled in a towel, the muscle jerks, tho still there, are not as bad. (Also, I found that educating myself on this part of it made this part much easier to bear: understanding that even tho the muscles are still jerking, the bird is dead. It just takes longer for the whole nervous system to shut down.) I usually bury the bird afterwards still wrapped in the towel.
We've had other large farm animals we've had to euthanize quickly & most of the time do it with a bullet to the brain. It is quick & effective. However, if you choose to use this method on any animals, please learn the best place to aim. (Most farm veterinarians can tell you this). It is different in different species & can take longer & cause unnecessary pain & suffering to the animal if not done correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom